Should I wait it out...?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - I'm a newbie & so glad I've found this forum!

I've recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which is believed to have been triggered by having an ICD implanted & some complications & further invasive procedures.

I've been on gabapentin for about 4 months. I have been increasing the doseage slowly. I'm now up to 900mg twice a day & 600mg once a day. I've had no problems at all on it.

However today I've nearly fallen over 3 times, my coordination is way off, my responses are slowed, I have blurred vision, dizzy head & can't walk without holding onto furniture.

I feel awful. After 4 months do you think this is side effects & how urgent do you think docs appt should be?

Thanks in advance smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Red Shoes. I had been prescribed Gabapentin for nerve and chronic pain / fibromyalgia. It was great at first as most drugs they have given me have been, but I had to quit taking it because I started to experience the same symptoms as you. I could not see - blurred vision, I fell in the shower due to loss of balance, pretty soon I was so depressed I just layed around all day doing nothing due to the disabling effects of Gabapentin. I think if you have not already gotten off of it that you should and they should switch you to Lyrica / Pregabalin  which can also be titrated. I hope you are feeling better. Debra wink
  • Posted

Hi.. I have fibromyalgia too.. and take 900mgs of gabapentin daily

and was wondering if you still drive and if so did you inform your insurance as I don't know whether too?

X

• Posted

Hello RedShoes. I could still drive on any of the medications I take. I drive very little because my back and neck hurts when I drive. As far as the Gabapentin goes. It depends on if you are willing to drink caffeine. I have anxiety so too much of it will make me really high strung. I don't think you should inform your car insurance if that is what you mean because it is not a narcotic and if you were to be in an accident I highly doubt that they would test you for Gabapentin or blame that on the reason of the accident. Illicit drugs. Narcotics that you are not used to taking (or a higher than usual amount prescribed), benzos, and valium can make you get into an accident but we now have a lot of privacy rights and the insurance company has no right to know about the Gabapentin. If you are taking benzos or narcotics I would say to wait until you get to work to take the hydrocodone or oxy or whatever they prescribe you. That way it will be out of your system. Also have some coffee with it because that perks it up even if you only take a little. As far as Gabapentin goes; I stopped taking it because it made me useless and increased my depression
  • Posted

I agree with debra59438. Lyrica/Pregabalin and Tramadal ER are so much better. Even Norco 5/325 will help you live a good life if you can live with the mood swings it brings to some people. Tramadol can't be mixed with Vicodin/Norco. Tramadol is to me a much better drug because it has SSRI qualities which boost mental stability and mood. I would ask about Lyrica and Tramadol ER. I think those will bring more stability is fibromyalgia is all you have. Good luck and call your doctor immediately. You need to possibly call a friend and have someone bring you. They will probably take you off immediately and prescribe something for withdrawal if possible. Don't forget to mention the Lyrica and Tramadol regular or ER. Those work quite well for pain all over your body. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.