Should in visit a doctor bloodpressure 160/120

Posted , 4 users are following.


We recently measured my boyfriends bloodpressure. This was 160/120 mmhg at rest, sitting. He is 32 years old 180 cm tall and weighs 80 kgs. He is complaining about headaches for a while now. His father is suffering from high BP and has problems with his retina because of this. He refuses to see a GP about this. What do you think, should I be worried and push him to see a doctor?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Well, you don't necessarily need to be worried. Home BP monitors are sometimes seriously inaccurate. However, at his age and with his history you should definitely push him to see a doctor, who will have a more accurate BP monitor. If the reading of 160/120 is accurate, it's way too high for someone of his age and BMI (24.7 from the info you've provided).

    Get him to a doctor, any way you can. Then you can determine whether or not he needs medication, lifestyle changes or both. By lifestyle changes I mean cutting back on smoking (if he's a smoker), reducing - but not completely stopping - salt intake, cutting back sharply on carbs, especially sugar and junk food, and increasing regular moderate exercise.

  • Posted

    Yes, if that is accurate, he'll really be glad to get it treated ASAP.

    Now, I hope that this was at rest, and the cuff was on right, and all that.

    ?You should take it a few times to see if it's always that high.

    And if it is, off to the medics.

  • Posted

    PUSH HIM!  This is not good at 32!  I don't do Metric in my head so don't know his BMI.  But regardless, this is not good!  Sounds genetically related.  That High BP AND Headaches setting off all kinds of Warnings!

    • Posted

      Hi Ernie,

      Re metric BMI, it's weight in kilos/height in metres squared. So, in this case:

      80/(1.8 x 1.8) = 24.7.

      To convert kilos to pounds, divide kilos by 0.454, i.e. 176lb in this case.

      To convert metres to feet/inches, multiply by 39.37, i.e. 71 inches here.

      So our friend weighs 176lb (or 12st 8lb if you're British) for 5ft 11in.

      I agree - if that BP reading is correct, which can only be confirmed by a doctor or a nurse using reliable professional equipment, then it's very high, especially for a 32-year-old whose weight is in the normal range (albeit high-end).

      I hope Margret can manage to persuade him to see a doctor asap, even if it's only to confirm the BP monitor they're using is inaccurate. Actually, I suspect it might be. 160/120 strikes me as being a rather odd reading. It's unusual for the pulse pressure (difference between the two readings) to be normal, at 40, when the diastolic is 120. I'd expect something more like 180/120.

      The bottom line for Margret is still the same, however. Get him to a doctor!

    • Posted

      Hi Lily, 

      ?Hope you're doing well.  Started to Google before posting but was in a hurry.  But now, I think I'll just put your info into my Smart Phone and hold onto it!  Yes, You're right reg. suggestion to Margret.  Don't wish to unduly alarm her or her boyfriend but He needs to get checked out by an MD.

      Have a Great Day!  Ernie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.