Should men be treated for BV?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My partner of 20 years cheated a year ago. I started to get frequent UTIs and monthly yeast infections. Even though (to my knowledge) the affair has been over, a few months ago tested positive for BV and its now recurring. In the past year I got on BC pills and stopped using the pull out method. Can his semen be causing the BV? Should he be treated or checked for something? Did that affair ruin our ph balance for ever? Yes I also know it ruined our marriage but I'll save that for therapy. Ive tested negative for STDs twice except BV.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

BV is not a sexsually transmitted infection.

Although we still do not know why it occurs, we know that having multiple sex partners is a risk factor. Having multiple partners in a short span of time, and not using condoms increases the risk even more for the women.

BV stands for bacteri vaginosis because it is an bacterisl infection occurring inside vaginas. Since men does not have vaginas and it is not an STI, there is nothing to treat in him.

It may appear to a woman that her male partner is infecting her, because the friction, heat and his semen may agitate and feed the bad bacteria. That is however not the case. The flare-up is just a side effect of the sex, not transmitted by sex.

BV is a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics.

• Posted

Men can be the cause of BV but not necessarily give it to you because if that was the case it would be considered an STD however there have been studies showing that men can carry the bacteria on their penis which they've picked it up from a woman with BV and spread it to other partners. It's really all complicated since virgins can get BV as well.

My estimation is that the affair caused a change in his sperm's PH or that she maybe had BV and that's how you got it.

I've suffered BV for months, I recommend using condoms or doing the pull out method and inserting Metrogel weekly until your body recognizes him again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.