Should my cast feel like it's rubbing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been wearing my cast for a little over four weeks now. Should it be feeling like it's rubbing my skin raw? It is really irritating and a little painful. I don't if I should get a new cast or suck it up for two more weeks.

Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Machelle, please go and get your cast changed. LOL you should not have to 'suck it up'.  2 weeks is a long time to chaffe. You could also get an ulcer which is really painfull. Take care xx

• Posted

Thanks Rusky,

I actually made an appointment for tomorrow to have my cast changed. Hopefully this will make the next couple of weeks more manageable. 

• Posted

Just call your doctor ASAP and he should change it right away if he is a decent practitioner.  I had to have mine changed 4 times and each time my doctor said come right in, your my patient and you should not have that problem.  It turned out I had that problem for another reason which was critical they find out.
    • Posted

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the advice, I will be getting a new cast tomorrow. I just didn't know what is normal for a cast.

Take Care.

• Posted

My first cast rubbed plus I had fracture blisters. I was in so much pain I thought it may be normal to have the cast be so uncomfortable. I'd never had a cast before.  When I went to the doc for a check, my skin had really broken down and I'm still having issues with it 6 weeks later. I wished I knew about this forum weeks ago. 

My doc is great, it was just me not wanting to complain.  Lesson learned. Hope you get some relief. 

• Posted

Glad your sorted. After a while as yr foot starts to go dwn and stops swelling you can get movement in the cast and this will cause it to rub your skin. I too had it and my mind went into overdrive thinking my foot/heel was full of blisters but once the cast came off NOTHING!! Plus put my mind at rest a little. But be prepared to see what's there, I had the biggest shock seeing the injuries for the first time after operation, not a pretty site. . I would advise taking some wet wipes with you and ask if you can wipe your leg/foot dwn before they apply a new cast. It was fab bowing it was cleaned up a little. Good luck. Sx

• Posted

Hi there. I felt discomfort in back slab and took it off. And I had plaster jabbing into wound. Had 8 plasters and only 3 applied correctly. A plaster should offer support not additional pain. Same as if you wear the boot. It should offer support support not pain. Look into an Even Up Shoe before you end up in the boot and protect yourself from further injury. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenni,

I ordered the Even Up shoe today. 10 more days til boot, YaY!

• Posted

Another trick is tell your brain not to limp. Say it loud and if you feel a limp stop and start again. Limping causes damage. 
  • Posted

I had the same problem my cast was rubbing on my incision. I am diabetic and I had only had the cast on for 1 week. But most of my pain was on the incision sights. I called my doctor and they removed the cast and my incisions were infected. I was put in an air cast from then on so they couls easily view the incisions. So I would call my Dr if I were you. Even if you are not diabetic.
    • Posted

Thanks Suzie,

I actually went in too my doctors today. They put a slit in my cast and stretched it open a bit. It feels much better now. So fingers crossed it feels ok for ten more days! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.