Should my citalopram be kicking in?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My whole life I've had problems with depression and anxiety but just over a month ago I started getting panic attacks which led to everything getting so bad that I couldn't function. I've been on 10mg of citalopram for just over 3 weeks and the first couple of weeks were awful. Nightmares, sweats , panic attacks , nausea, vomiting , light headedness , lack of appetite and sex drive and bad depression and anxiety. These side effects have now calmed down but I still feel depressed and anxious , especially in the morning when I wake up , and I have no interest in doing anything and don't enjoy any of the activities I used to. I'm scared because I had to drop out of college and I can't even think about getting a job or trying to get my life back on track because the thought is so overwhelming and it makes me anxious. My girlfriend also recently moved away who I spent all my time with and now I feel like I have nothing to do with myself and I'm even more depressed. Do I need to wait longer for the meds to kick in? Should they be working by now? Has anyone had any simular experiences ? I'm only 21 and I'm desperate for some reassurance because I feel like my life will never be the same again- Luke.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

10mg is a kids dose(so my doc said when i was the same)say its not doing you any good and you need a stronger dose as for your anxierty i was the same as they gave me something for that as well,im noware near as bad as i was but mornings are still a little bit down but dosent take as long to be ok as it used to be,just get up and do somthing,but do what ive said and it will get better,let me know how you go,if you need to talk more message me and i will have a chat,STAY STRONG AND KEEP FIGHTING THE FIGHT
    • Posted

Hi Gary , I have another appointment in a couple of weeks and I will enquire about a higher dose. It's just hard because most people say it kicks in after a couple of weeks and I'm still struggling, which makes me doubt that it will ever work at all which is a daunting thought. I was prescribed Xanax for my anxiety and panic attacks but I try my hardest not to take them and to just sit it out.. Thank you for replying Im going to try my best to stay strong

• Posted

Hi Luke,

I myself started with depression and anxiety at only 16 and waited until I was 33 until i started on any meds for it. How I wish id started earlier as it really helped me. I was also given Citolopram but a 20mg dose that was raised to 40mg. It took about 6 weeks to start to work so give it time but I do agree that 10mg is a very low dose. I'd discuss with your doc that you have not seen any improvement and ask to up the dosage. Stay strong

• Posted

Hi Steve, sorry to hear about your case, hearing that it took 6 weeks for you gives me some reassurance, im going to stick out this dosage until the 6 week mark and wait for any improvements, if not i will ask for a higher dosage..im just hoping the next few weeks wont be too tough as it is beginning to become unbearable and is worst in the mornings...thank you for replying!
  • Posted

Really feel for you Luke it is horrible isn't it but I promise you it will get better I've been on escitalopram 10mg for 3 months and its just starting to get easier hang in there pal it will get better

• Posted

Hi Luke,

I'm old alot older than you but the symptoms are the same, whatever age.

Citalopram might work within two weeks with some people but the "posters" on here have to wait longer. I'm giving my dose 3 months before i start changing things...5mg or 10 mg is the start dose, so see how you go. You were lucky to get through the side effects in two weeks, so that is a "positive" If you can't wait 'til your appointment then I should telephone and see what your doctor has to say. Can you talk to him or anyone else??? Your doctor gave you the xanax for a reason, so don't be afraid to take it. Try half the dose and see how you go..it is to help you 'til the ad kicks in.Drink lots of fluids/ eat well and regularly and try some exercise. (indoors!!!) How are you sleeping?

I am so good at giving advice but am useless at putting it into practise.

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Hello Sxx, 

I have been to the doctor more in the last month than i have in my whole life just for some hope that they will change something up or tell me something new that will make things better, but all they say is to stay on the same dose of the same meds and see how they go, and I cant complain about their advice. Im also seeing a psychologist so at this stage I feel like im doing all that i need to be doing, and im still struggling. The side effects have calmed down but havent disappeared completely , I still wake up very anxious with nausia , sore throat and stomach problems, but not nearly as bad as they used to be. I've always had insomnia but since things got so hard I feel like sleep is one of the few things that gives me relief, like I can shut my brain off and stop thinking for a while. Recently im also so exausted all the time that I dont find it hard to fall asleep, but its staying asleep that is the problem, always tossing a turning and waking up from weird and realistic dreams and nightmares. And again, if i wake up thats when its the worst so i can never go back to sleep , even if its the middle of the night. Thank you for replying and thanks for your advice i appreciate it.

Luke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.