Should patients suffering severely from anorexia be force fed?

Posted , 5 users are following.

After researching this ethical subject I have many mixed opinion on whether anorexics should be forced fed. I understand that many consequences can arise from feeding against the patients will.

It would be interesting to gain opinions from anorexia patients and from friends and family, also health care professionals.

Thank you for your comments.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm going into mental health nursing and as far as I know if the patient is detained under the mental health act they are forced into any treatment that is seemed needed, regardless of what the patient wants or needs. With E.D's food or lack of it may be used as a way of control e.g. the only thing they can control in their life, so they need things to put in place of these habits or rituals. CBT is a therapy most commonly used with some eating disorders as well as medication. To be honest it must be painful for a person to be force fed but if they are starving themselves to death, the law makes this clear. I think with anorexia sufferer's being detained in the UK under MH it's if they are in extreme circumstances
  • Posted

I'm anorexic and I have been inpatient so many times,detained twice under the MHA,now I'm under CTO.I have been force fed and I don't agree people with ED should go under his procedure,it's not normal and it doesn't help anorexic person to deal with body image and mental state.So NO for force feeding.
  • Posted

HI.

I was low BMI and my bloods were messed up and my vitals that was last year,but this time they section me because not really about my weight but the side effect of ED and I'm still ip.Hate it and still against force feeding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.