Should so called alternative medicine be evidence and not anecdote based?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I would like to know if the majority of individuals using this forum are at all concerned with knowing via properly conducted clinical studies, what they dose themselves with, and if they understand what constitutes evidence.

I found myself commenting on someone who was seeking advice on a so called alternative therapy, and wondered if many people were prepared to take substances that have little or no evidence of benefit, or harm?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Any treatment that is to be taken seriously must be evidence based and have clinical trial evidence before it can be recommended to the general public.

Anecdotal evidence can provide information that could lead to further investigations.

• Posted

Anon, couldn't agree more. Let us not get confused however with the difference.

If enough people believe something to be true it is imperative to test the idea to see what verifiable evidence there is to also believe it. It is not wise to assume that just because lots of people believe something there is even the slightest likelyhood of it being so. Gwyneth Paltrow ring a bell?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.