Should the exercises hurt?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with this now for around a month, someone recommended rolling a tennis ball under the foot as a self massage technique, but it hurts! is it supposed to hurt this much?!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Stick at it but not too much pressure to begin with. It does work. Fellow members of my walking group have found it effective too. I found resting was of no help whatsoever and painkillers just mask it.

• Posted

Yes they do hurt but you have to find the right exercise for your PF. I find leaning against the wall with both hands flat on the wall and one foot flat on the floor a meter away from the wall while the other foot is 30cm from the wall and bent at the knee. This stretchs the calf muscle which causes pf if it is too tight so stretching it takes the strain off the pf tissue.

I use gel heel pads in my walking shoes and boots and I am having shockwave treatment to try and eliminate the problem and the pain has gone since having the treatment but will it return????.

There are many forms of pf and it may be due to injury in which case rest does help before doing the exercises or it can be tightening of the tissue due to age or change of routine. As we get old the tissue is not as elastic as it used to be and it hardens so exercise should help but we are all different so you have to find what works for you. Surgery is a very last resort and I would not advise steroid injections as they are not good for tissue or nerves and work best when injected into joints to reduce inflamation.

• Posted

Yes.. but not to the point of excruciating pain! Try using a frozen water bottle instead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.