Should this have been done/stitched better?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had surgery on the 28th of February on my hand. It's a procedure called 'Dupuytren's fasciectomy' done. However, I went to the hospital today (10th March) and had my stitches removed. I removed the bandage the night before and it looked nowhere near as neat as pictures and youtube videos seems to portray, It looked a mess in comparison.

Moving on, today while I was having the stitches removed I noticed on the computer screen that it was not the surgeon who had spoken to me that actually performed the procedure (I was under a general anaesthetic at the time) but that it was somebody else. The person was actually with the doctor at the time when he spoke to me but I wasn't informed that he would be doing the procedure and not the surgeon who was sort of 'taking the lead' during the consultation.

Anyway, today while I was having the stitches removed the nurse asked how I felt it looked. I said 'To be honest.... I think that it seems a bit like a butcher's job!'. She assured me that she had seen many and that it looked OK but it left me wondering why she would even ask that. I also asked why there was a sort of 'bump' at one part between the stitches and she seemed a little confused that 2 stitches had actually been put into it. She then went on to talk about how physiotherapy may be needed then kind of paused and said 'Actually, maybe Dr. H****** (the original surgeon who I assumed would be doing the procedure*) would like to examine it again. You should make an appointment to see him.'

It has all left me a little unsettled as I did not think that it looked very good and now this nurse has kind of reaffirmed those thoughts.

After all of this, my finger still is still not straight (which was the whole purpose of the procedure) but I was informed beforehand that the surgery may not be entirely successful.

So my question is: What thoughts and/or advice do you have with regard to all this?

(I have included pictures of my stitched finger. One before cleaning and one after but I still have a bandage on just now since they were only removed a couple of hours ago.)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I think you are reading too much into the nurses comments and possible perceived reactions. Most surgery can look a mess after only 10 days and that procedure especially can look very messy as there are multiple incisions.You were probably operated on by the Consultants registrar which is also quite normal. Most people who have this are happy to have physiotherapy as it teaches you how to start moving the finger again in a proper way. Be patient for a while, and it will gradually improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.