Should venlafaxine be helping by now?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on venlafaxine for three weeks now. For the first week I took 37.5mg and for the last two weeks I have been taking 75mg. I have seen no improvement in my anxiety and depression. Should I not of seen some improvement by now?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been on this drug for years, I have just come off it, I am having a dreadful time, I have come off slowly, made no difference.  The withdrawal symptoms are awful.  I was told they were not addictive, I could come off them any time, can I suggest, try fresh air, excecise, talking.  Speak to your doctor first, but seriously if there is an option other than taking them, take it. All I would say is I needed this drug at the time, they helped me, but feeling like I do now, I wish I had never started on them.  I would just love to know, how long will I feel this awful.  These drugs can also affect other organs in your body, my adrenal gland was showing problems after a blood test, the consultant believes due to Venlafaxine, hope that when completely clear of this from my system my adrenal gland will be okay.  Sorry if this sounds muddled, just moving my eyes causes these brain zaps. Jan
    • Posted

Thank you, I know it is different for different people, I hate the brain zapping, moving my eyes seems to set it off, being able to sleep would be good.  How long can this last.  I have started taking charcoal tabs, I would try anything but Venlafaxine again. Jan
    • Posted

Hi Jan.  How long were you on the Effexor and what kind of a taper did you do?  I'm curious because I've been tapering slowly from 75 mgs. over 3-1/2 years and am now down to 3 beads.  I drop 1 bead every 3-4 months.  I've had no w/d symptoms and have no anxiety and sleep well.  What did you experience after you stopped and how soon after finally stopping did you experience w/d symptoms?  How long since you've stopped are you at now?  Lots of questions but most helpful if you could get back to me.  Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Carrie, I was on 75 mg X 3 per day, 2 @ night, for many years, 1 in the morning.  Due to abnormal blood tests for my Adrenal gland, my Endriochonologist believes due to Venlafaxine it was decided to come of the drug.  Over the past couple of months I have come down slowly until I was on just 37.25 mg only in the morning.  All the way through I felt okay, I think only mild symptoms, then once I stopped the final dose all research dreadful symptoms kicked in.  The endocrinologist did warn me that this was a drug that would make me feel pretty awful when coming off.  A great deal of the research on the internet seem to agree that no matter how slowly you come off this drug, it is once you take that last dose these symptoms start, it would appear to be a known fact.  I would just like to know how long is this likely to last.  Jan
    • Posted

Hi Carrie been off this drug for just over a week now, still feel bad.  I slept a little better last night, I put ocean wave sounds on my iPad, this did seem to help. Being an active person I am finding this incredibly difficult, never spent so much time lying on the sofa, moving around, concentrating even writing this, takes enormous effort. The worst feeling is moving my eyes, movement, this then causes these zaps unplease Nfeelings in my head. Jan
    • Posted

Hi Jan.  Sorry to hear of how difficult this has been for you.  You were on a relatively high dose and your taper was very brief given the dose and length of time you had been on this drug.  I was on 75mgs. only 1x day for over 12 years, less than that now because I started a slow and gradual taper 3-1/2 years ago.  I'd say 3 years ago I most likely tapered to 37.5mgs. or less 1x/day.  I'm now on 3 beads, having tapered 1 bead every 4 months or so.  I'm in no hurry and have no issues requiring that I get off this drug immediately.  I'll likely taper at this rate for the next 1-1-1/2 years and when I'm finally down to 1 tiny bead, I'll stagger that a day apart and then a few days apart to several days apart until I feel very well enough to jump off the drug.  I'm hoping I'll be fine and am in no hurry to find out otherwise.  So far so good, feeling great with no anxiety or sleep issues.  The zaps in your case I think are because the taper was much too quick.  Maybe reinstating a tiny bit and then tapering once you've stabilized will help you to gradually wean off the drug but then gain you have the other issue so I don't know.  Keep the faith.  I'm taking the supplement ashwagandha.  Has worked wonders to promote calmness and sleep.  Something to think about if you'd like to research it.  It's safe but don't know if you'd have an adverse effect to it.  Alot would depend on whether you're on other medications I suppose.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi William.  I've been on Effexor XR for over 12 years.  Give it time, you will see an improvement.  2 weeks is too short for the effects of the drug to kick in.  I think you need to give it 6 weeks to 2 months and you'll see an improvement.  I know it's difficult to wait when you feel anxious and depressed.  You're hoping for change but it will work.  I was on a dose of 75mgs. throughout.  When it was prescribed, it worked wonderfully for me.  I'm now more interested in getting off of it and am currently weaning very slowly.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Agreed, every thing Carriewrites is correct, just wish I had, had the iption to taper off this over a longer period. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.