Should you always go to the hospital if you think you're in afib

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been in afib for over 25 hours. My heart rate is around 70, but my rhythm is erratic.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Patty,

My heart rate is nearly 80 most of the time and I have persistent AF so this is all the time.   I carry on but feel very tired lately.    Perhaps the heat is affecting you.    You can always make a doctor`s appointment for advice and/or reassurance.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

No easy answers.

I know I think about going a lot sooner than 25 hours!

• Posted

How do you know you're in afib and not for example having ectopic beats? Unless you take an ecg, it can be very hard to tell the difference with a low heart rate. My suggestion is to go to a local doc in the box, get an ecg and find out exactly what you have. Afib may need treatment, ectopic beats, while bothersome, probably do not.

Jim

• Posted

Hi. My episodes used to last for 24 hrs and unless my pulse was high which it was, hitting 150+ on two occasions, I didnt go to hospital - just rested. But, only you know your body and whatever advice your cardiologist may have given to you. Now, Im likely to have 12 or so hours with pulse around 100-110 which though annoying, is tolerable but tiring.
    • Posted

Thanks. I am laying in bed right now in a panic. My heart rate is still around 75, but I am not feeling dizzy or short of breath. I will probably call my doctor in the morning. I appreciate your response. I never know whether I should wait it out or go to the hospital.
    • Posted

I am scared because I have been in afib since early Wednesday. Is this unusual?
    • Posted

I am on a blood thinner and atenolol. I have had afib for 10 years. I usually have a much slower heart rate. I am going to see my doctor tomorrow because I am freaking out.
    • Posted

The blood thinner is keeping you safe and your heart rate is well within the normal range.As they say AF doesn't kill you but it can be very uncomfortable.

I've  been in permanent AF for three and a half years with my heart rate in the 70's because of my pacemaker. Though I was quite happy when it was in the 40's :-)

• Posted

A heart beat of 70 to 80 SOUNDS normal, but you know your own body. BUT if it is erratic then I would suggest either going to the hospital or to your doctor

PLEASE never hesitate to do one or the other, we are not doctors on here, just people who have had the same thing.

• Posted

I am just scared. I usually don't have this.long of episodes. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow. Thanks for being here. Im freaking out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.