Should you be able to feel the submandibular gland under your jaw on one side?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it normal to feel the submandbuliar under my jaw on one side?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tyler - Yes, you can easily feel your submandibular glands. They are located just under the bottom part of jar towards the back.

I have had stones removed in my submandibular gland. Any type of swelling, especially accompanied by pain is most likely the result of stones (which an MRI can easily show).

I hope this helps!

SA

• Posted

It did help thank you! One is definitely bigger than the other. You can see a small bump from my jaw if you look up and stretch out the skin. 
  • Posted

Hi Tyler...to be honest I couldnt feel either of my submandibular salivary glands before this year, Then in January I felt a lump under my right jawline which seemed to slowly increase in size until after about 3 months I went to my GP. Seen by consultant within a week, and he told me to suck lemons and out a warm compress under it..well that didnt work, so on return they did the scans and it was not clear what the lump was. Biopsies with fine needles were not conclusive, and so the safest path was to have the thing taken out. This was done at hospital, and I was there for 2 nights, the second becuase the drain was still removing fluid from around the wound. Anyway, I now waited to hear the result and it was a really rare Kuttner tumour - basically a pile of inflammatory cells which mimics a cancerous tumour but which is benign. Enormous relief as you can imagine, and 4 months later you cant see any scar and no damage was done to any of the nerves around the site. Typically, the nerves do get a little bruising which takes time for any unwanted sensation to fade away. I feel very blessed with the outcome, it was extremely worrying and despite reassurance along the way, not knowing whether the gland was cancerous or not caused a lot of sleepless nights. The surgeon, and all the hospital staff were tremendous, and apart from that I can honestly say that I said a lot of prayers and asked people to pray for me - which helped!!  Please feel free to ask me anything, if I can help I will.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.