Shoulder, Arm, Neck, and Back Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 16 years old, the last time that I've been to the doctor was last month. On Thursday, October 26th, I woke up and stretched one of my arms (my left arm) and it started hurting really bad. The thing was that I didn't even pull my arm that hard and the pain should not have been that bad. So basically the following day I was fine and didn't feel much unless I tried moving it upwards or to the side. Now on October 29th, it hurts worse despite not feeling as bad for three days. There's pain in my shoulder blade and the pain feels like it's spreading to my upper back and the back of my arm. Earlier I felt neck pain on the left side as well. I was worried that it had something to do with my heart but I recently had an EKG and I haven't experienced any chest pain. Still, I'm worried because even as I'm typing this now, my arm feels bad and I can't tell anyone because they're all busy and plus, since I am known to be very anxious about my health, they'll just brush it off. I'll update if the pain lessens but I just want to know if anyone else, preferably anyone who has pulled a muscle (so I can know what it actually feels like and how long it lasts) experienced something like this and can give me advice on how to heal it. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hey lala 

If your body is telling you something is wrong do not ignore it. I am 47 y and have gone through 5 major surgeries on my arm the last one being a complete shoulder replacement. Your symptoms as you describe imo sound more like a slap tendon tear the just plain old muscle tenderness. 

Have you taken a strong anti-inflammatory yet? if you did, did pain stay the same feel different or feel nothing

Keep in touch and feel better 

• Posted

Hi, I have not taken anything for it. The pain is still there but it seems to be on and off. I'll ask my parents to take me to the doctor this week. 

• Posted

It could be a multitude of things or more than one thing at same time. Best to let a Dr evaluate you. What kind of activities do you do? Any sports? It's probably worth mentioning to someone in your family or maybe the school nurse. 

• Posted

I don't play any sports at the moment, and the pain came after I stretched my arm, I'll make sure to mention that when I go to the doctor.

• Posted

UPDATE: I haven't went to the doctor yet but at the moment (November 5th) I've been experiencing just upper arm pain and tightness in that arm, and now I'm worried if its heart related because the last time I felt symptoms like this, I was able to go to the hospital after asking my parents to go and they found out that everything was normal. I would hope that it's the same case if I go back, though if you've read any of my other posts, you'd know that my parents don't take me that seriously because I have a lot of health anxiety. I have two questions: one, how do you tell if things like these are heart related, and two, if this is simply a pulled muscle, how long will it take to heal? It's been a little over a week now.

• Posted

The best way to know is to go to the Dr and have them do an EKG and/or echocardiogram. Heat pain is often, but not always accompanied by shortness of breath and nausea. trouble in the neck can often refer to the arm and scapula when the disc pinches a nerve. has anyone done an MRI on your neck? Pulled muscles...usually  6 weeks and sometime shorter or longer...but really best to see the Dr since this seems to be an ongoing thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.