Shoulder/arm PAIN

Posted , 5 users are following.

Looking for some advice on what could be the problem here.   

I've had pain in my arm starting at the shoulder down to my fingers for about 9 weeks.  Also stiff painful neck.  Always when I get up from resting, sleeping, reading, watching tv etc... the arm is tingling and nerve pain for about an hour.  Very sensitive to any movement.  Simple things like washing my hair is difficult/painful.

No signs of improvement.   No event that started this.  But some history:

- did a fair bit of swimming about 6-9 months back and noticed my joints were really noisy/grinding/clicking as I swam.

- 6 months back I was pulling a wagon of newspapers for my boy (with the same arm).  The next morning I had terrible pain in my back between the shoulder blades.  Felt like I was hit by a car.  Was given Naproxen/Tylenol/Cyclobenzaprine and 6 weeks later that resolved itself.

- Since then I had been doing a lot of walking for exercise (all I could really do) and that's when I noticed the swinging of my arms as I walked gradually was hurting my shoulder more and more.

Cannot sleep on my stomach at all, and side sleeping is moderately painful with me usually waking up by 4:30am

46yrs old, tried PT, acupuncture and now chiro.

Appreciate any suggestions on what this might be so I can seek proper treatment.   Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Could be a herniated disc. You should get a NMR (MRI) and check the results. I had a similar situation and I had to get a laminectomy at C-6 C-7 Now its 100%! 
  • Posted

I had shoulder impingement which caused pain when sleeping on that side, trouble reaching up & pain when active & at rest, then developed frozen shoulder after surgery to fix the impingement, pain in shoulder blade which travelled up my neck & a clicking & grinding in the front near the labrum area. Had an MAU to correct that. Ask your doctor to refer you for a scan of the shoulder this should show up any issues

• Posted

Thanks grillage and Rocketrim.  My chiropractor did an x-ray and suggested a possible herniated disc.  I can't remember the C#.   My doctor also is scheduling me for a CT Scan but probably a month away.   A MRI around here would be a year wait.   Hopefully a CT Scan will reveal something.

It's just good to know these things can be fixed.   I'll have to read up on this frozen shoulder you mention.   Thanks,  Frank

• Posted

What happens if you ice the problem areas?
    • Posted

For the first 4 or 5 weeks I had been using a heating pad for 20min each night when I lay down.  The shoulder blade area would be very tender like a muscle was in a knot back there.   Only helped temporarily.   My chiropractor reccommended icing instead.  I've been doing that each evening for about 7 days so far but it hasn't helped or improved the symptoms.  Maybe more frequent is needed.

I should try mornings.  When I first get up out of bed it's the worst.

• Posted

"A MRI around here would be a year wait. "

Holy cow, sorry to hear that.

Your symptoms sound pretty similar to mine at your age.  In my case I learned the issue was significant amount of bone spurs (both shoulders) and any kind of heavy use could have me in pain (radiating all the way down to my fingertips) for a month.  I kept putting off doing anything about it until a fall caused me to tear off the supraspinatus (sp?) tendon.  Since I had to have that screwed back on anyway, I got the bone spurs removed at the same time.

I'm still holding off on the other shoulder.  Sometimes I go months without a problem, then do something that gets it hurting again and think about going back in and getting them shaved down.  

The surgeon encourages waiting as long as I can because he says they can come back, and so waiting a few more years may mean one fewer surgery in life.

• Posted

I'll report back when I get some answers on this.  I hope it's not something requiring surgery...

• Posted

YIKES!  Dunno.  I'd be about getting me a referral to an ortho. surgeon.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.