Shoulder capsular release

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. So glad I found this site. I was so fed up with the conflicting answers i was finding on the net regarding how long recovery should take. I had the surgery nearly 4 weeks ago. My range of movement is much improved, and im doing all the exercises given to me by the surgeon but I am just in so much pain still. plus I have awful tingling in all my fingers on that sides hand. With being my dominant hand, its causing me real problems. I have been prescribed more painkillers which do take the edge off slightly but make me so light headed and drowsy. The pain is really getting me down. Im also a type 1 Diabetic of 46 years, and im not sure why but since surgery my levels have gone very high also. I really am feeling so down now, im beginning to regret having it done. I guess im asking if this is normal? I know we are all different. I work for postal service driving which requires lots of pushing pulling and lifting, and im worried my boss will soon become impatient.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

David

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

DAVID

not sure where you are from but i am from Maine I had severe frozen shoulder and was told it would go thru stages and get worse before it got bettertalking a few years. Heard about Dr Herzog from Falmouth Maine. He has a procedure that I was told would not work. bascially gives you a shot to numb the shoulder and grabs it and turns your arm every which way.

i left after him telling me there would be no follow up no pain since and its been 4 years if you truly have frozen shoulder check into this procedure he has taught it at the Maine Medical using my procedure that he filmed

• Posted

Hi there. Thanks for your helpful reply. I should have mentioned, I'm in the U.K. That procedure sounds amazing, although I guess I will have to be patient to see if my recent surgery will be a success first.

thanks again

David

• Posted

hello David,

sorry to hear you are still in so much pain following surgery. Firstly, the reason you see so many conflicting answers is because each person can genuinely have huge variations in the level of pain, duration and response to different treatments given at different points of intervention from what i have seen and experienced. for some, the miracle turning point is following surgical release but for others the pain can be as bad if not worse for weeks and months afterwards. It is your dominant arm and you are working which is very hard during this awful experience. Please know that eventually we all get through it and it improves but you only have one body and you must take care and protect it during this fragile time. Dont keep fighting the pain, accept it is part of it and that it will go away but honestly, the whole thing can take around 2 years before you finally wake and feel at last, I am feeling better. show this site to your employer, ask them to contact and ask people how awful a pain it is and what they can do to ease or vary your workload until you are better. Tell them that many find it gets better quicker if you can look after that arm for a while. I hope they have some compassion for you. I am out the other side and you will get there too but others need to help you and support you. Take care, Penny

• Posted

Hi Penny. Thanks for your reply, its nice to know that i'm not alone. Maybe I'm rushing it a bit.

I haven't returned to work yet, I guess I'm just feeling anxious about not being there as it'll be a month on Wednesday. Thanks again for your helpful reply, and I look forward to coming out the other side.

David

• Posted

DAVID,

I was told I had a frozen shoulder too. Had physical therapy, which was the most painful thing, but gave me no lasting relief. Like you, the pain pills made me drowsy and constipated but not a real answer to the pain but it was all I had. I was miserable. Finally, I asked for an MRI which showed a torn rotator cuff. Had surgery. Still lots of pain. Had a manipulation under anesthesia. Still in pain. More PT. More pain. Finally went for another opinion and had a second surgery because on my xray he saw a "hook" on my scapula. The scapula has normal anatomical variations in the curve from the shoulder to the midline, but mine had a little lump on it at the shoulder side which was rubbing into the newly repaired rotator cuff. He said if I did not fix it, my only option was a shoulder replacement. Long story short. Had the surgery. Problem fixed and a short not painful recovery. This all occupied almost 2 years of my life. The point is that an accurate diagnosis is critical to a successful treatment and pain relief. Perhaps another opinion, more testing, another set of medical eyes looking at your problem might provide a real solution. Don't give up. There is a solution and it just takes a doctor who is willing to look again at everything and listen to you. Good luck I am thinking of you.

• Posted

Hello David sorry to hear about yr shoulder, I had same problem and had no choice but to have operation (Dec 2017) it took quite a while for it to settle..... pain etc.... but was worth the operation...... you will have to be patient but believe me you will get there.... you will need lits of physio..... Yr boss will have to be patient he can't do anything about it..... he can't sack you it was probably caused through yr job anyway but the operation will sort it with a lot of patience...... don't give up and good luck

• Posted

HI David i feel your pain and i know how this gets you down. i have a frozen shoulder they think . Ive had an ultra sound and xray and supposedly they can tell from these. The pain at night is excruciating and i now have to attempt to sleep upright in a chair. I'm booked in for hydrodilatation soon but im exhausted . I work but im in pain. I think my brother in law had something like you and eventually he did get relief and movement back. I hope you get it sorted out .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.