Shoulder dislocation, constant popping out

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have always had a problem with my shoulder popping out. but it always went right back in. A few days ago, I fell and felt my shoulder dislocate. I moved my arm and thought it went back into place. Wednesday evening before bed, I was in pain but able to move my arm.  Since Thursday, however, any slight arm movement is excruciating and it feels like, the slightest tap on my hand, pushes my shoulder out of place. I don’t know ifI should go to the ER or make an Ortho appointment. I’m worried that it may not stay in place now without surgery and I really cannot get surgery due to other medical issues.   Or, maybe it isn’t really in place to begin with. I  am a person with low pain threshold and I’ve been feeling faint from the pain.  I really don’t think I will get through this. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes - if the pain is excruciating you very likely have a properly dislocated bone. When it pops back easily it is often only partly out of place. The longer you leave it the less likely it is to stay in place when it is back. If you want to avoid surgey you need to get it seen too quickly and request follow-up with a physio who may be able to strength the muscles enough to stop it happening.

Off to the ER with you  - asap.

• Posted

I would go to primary doctor to see what he thinks or an urgent care that does xray
  • Posted

I think you should go to the ER as if the problem an orthopedist should see right away they will have one on your case in a minute!

It sucks me sick..... sounds like we are in the same situation....boat....club.... lol.....

I say that I feel like an over boiled chicken ready for all my joints to just fall apart! lol....

Hope to hear an update soon......

• Posted

I went to the ER last Friday afternoon and waitd 4.5 hours to be seen in the hallway.  I saw an orthopedic doctor today.  I did dislocate my shoulder but it was not out when I was seen at the ER. 

The pain in my chest and armpit has subsided but the pain in the front and back of my shoulder and, especially, at the back of my arm is still very intense. I can’t get my arm in a comfortable position to sleep and I was told to start moving my arm but I get unpearae shocks of pain that stop me in my tracks. 

I went to a shoulder expert, but nobody actually answers the question of why I’m still in so much pain. I’m supposed to get an MRI just to make sure there’s no torn rotator cuff but the orthopedic doctor thinks it’s unlikely. So, I’m in excrutiating pain for no apparent reason. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.