Shoulder getting worse

Posted , 2 users are following.

7 weeks ago I had to lift my 60 lb dog in the car after the dog park as he didnt want to leave. I had spinal fussion L 5 and 6... 3 yrs ago after a slip fractured my back..then last year my neck needed fused. .I am 57 yrs old..active as far as hours of walking a day and watching my grandbabies..so I went to docs..he said tendon strain..2 rounds of taper down pregnizone..my ortho gave me a steriod injection...physical therapy was ordered...last week another steriod shot. Nothing helps..hand get cold while I try to sleep..which has been 3 hous a night..pain is horrible...can not raise arm..hook bra...no strength...find myself crossing arm in front of me as if it is in a sling and it eases up a bit...MRI tomorrow...not trying to have another surgery..anyone else have the cold hand thing going on? Seems like it feels better at times but after 30 minutes comes back so much worse...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Patti, how awful. Possibly an issue with your neck? The cold hand thing sounds like a possible nerve issue, but, could be your shoulder, torn rotator cuff, ??? Good luck with everything. Keep posting, curious to see what the MRI shows. God bless.
    • Posted

Thanks Richella 40978...they have just dragged their feet...ortho ruled out my neck..I will let yoi know..I think torn rotar cuff just a guess though....god bless you too
    • Posted

Let me know. I am 4 and a half months post from rotator cuff surgery. It's been interesting. I am 58.

• Posted

I will..are you feeling better? I believe if they would of not made me wait so long for the MRI..and to get in to see the ortho that it would not of gotten this awful
    • Posted

Hi. You asked if I am feeling better. Yes. But...

Last January was when I hurt myself. It was within 2 weeks of my fall that the pain was so bad that I couldn't sleep thru the night any longer and also couldn't lift things up and over, couldn't hook my bra, and couldn't pull things over my head, whatever. If I would "turn" my hand in a certain position, the impulse of pain was incredible. I did p.t. for about 6 weeks, believing it would get better. My therapist told me twice that he believed there was an issue the ortho surgeon needed to address. I could not live that way any longer and decided to go. My MRI did show a labral tear among a few other things, however, when the surgery was done there was no labral tear but a supraspinatis tear. I only had one anchor, but also an acromioplasty and a number of spurs removed. That was done the middle of April. It's now the 4th of September. I'm still doing therapy, which can be painful, I still wake up with a sore shoulder, but at least I can sleep again without any pain meds. I used meds for about 4 months. As needed. Everyone is different. I have done my therapy at home faithfully. It's a long slow process. But, I knew I could not live with the pain I had. I am not 100% and don't know if I will be, but I am still better than I was, so I guess having surgery was the right thing for me. (Probably more info than you wanted but..) (I have just started doing exercises to get my strength back in my arm...do lots of reading on rotator cuff surgeries and recoveries, if that's what you end up deciding on. ) good luck!

• Posted

Thank you...glad your sinewhat better...I can noy get in to see my ortho till the 13th..when I broke 4 and 5 and needed fussion...everything's gone to pot...Doctor said my spine is that of a 90 yr old and any wrong movement I will screw something up..sometimes you just move withoit thinking and boom...here comes another surgery...I will keep you posted and continue to get strong!

• Posted

Sorry typos...baby sitting on my lap
    • Posted

Sounds so miserable Patti! I'm so sorry. I wish you the best. Keep me posted if you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.