Shoulder injury, nothing on MRI

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey all,

So I had a traumatic injury about two months ago. At the time I had x rays and the diagnosis was shoulder separation (had sling for couple of weeks), At ortho follow up, doc confirmed separation and my visit summary sheet also said "rotator cuff syndrome". Continued with NSAIDs, ice, and was put on waitlist for PT, but given a program to do at home (I wasn't able to do very much from this program due to pain). He said he would do an MRI in a month, but at that follow up said he didn't want to do one anymore.

A friend referred me to a different doctor who suspected a labrum tear and ordered an MRI (no contrast). That MRI showed absolutely nothing (I mean literally nothing, no problems with anything at all). Doctor gives me a cortisone shot, and gets me in with their PT program. It's been about two weeks since the cortisone shot, certain motions (like shampooing my hair) hurt less, but overall the pain is pretty much the same. At PT eval today I was told an MRI shows everything, "even a grain of sand" and mine showed nothing so everything is fine. They said it's likely just some impingement and I should get better really fast. I plan to do everything they say, but at one point when I was doing the PT at home my shoulder almost (or maybe did, I'm not sure, it was scary) pop out so I'm feeling a little apprehensive. I also have a pretty high pain tolerance so I've always had a hard time getting doctors to take me seriously.

I guess I'm nervous my insurance is only going to approve a few appointments and I'm going to be sol.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.