Shoulder Joint PRP injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

In early December, I'm scheduled for a PRP injection into my right shoulder joint. Due to moderate arthritis, I have been getting cortisone injections into both shoulders about every four months. My left shoulder is worse, and I'm told, that anything short of shoulder replacement, that's pretty much all they can do for my left shoulder.

After asking if there are any other alternatives for my right shoulder, I was told that maybe PRP might still have better results. After being told about what PRP is all about, I decided I'll give it a try. However, I am also told that it's a very painful injection. I've had many cortisone injections into each shoulder, so I figure, How bad can it be? Is it the serum? Is it the pathway for the needle?I was told that the pathway does matter, and so I mentioned, that that's purely up to them. As with cortisone, sometimes the injection is very painful, other times I barely feel it . I'm told that an anti-coagulant is added, that burns a little, but they also pre-numb the joint with an anesthetic .

My question for this forum is, Has anyone had this injection to their shoulder? Is it really bad? Is it worth it? I'd try anything at least once. And lastly, Would you do it again? I'm also told, most people don't opt for a second time. I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about this. Thank you for your response. Rick

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

what did u do?

I have had prp in both shoulders

just this last November

the pain of the injection was nothing compared to the pain 3 weeks later

• Posted

what did u do?

just this last November

• Posted

what did u do?

just this last November

• Posted

HI Marybeth,

Thanks for your response to this thread. What was the pain from? How long did it last? What was done about it? Would you ever get PRP again? Thanks again. Rick

• Edited

Did you have the PRP injection(s)? Did it go ok? Did it help your problem? Are you completely recovered?

• Edited

I got PRP in both shoulders. The first injection was in beginning of February. It was in my right shoulder. The doctor had higher expectations for the right, because it wasn't as bad as the left, which she didn't think PRP would help anyway. The right side went very well. I started feeling relief after about 10 days. After about three weeks, It got about as good as it was going to get. Not perfect, I still got some pain in different positions and conditions, but even now, almost four months later, It still seems to be working better than the Cortisone.

My left shoulder is a different story. The doctor was more sceptical about that shoulder to begin with, but I wanted to at least try. We did the left beginning of March. It actually started to hurt more after the injection, and that pain started to go away after three weeks, but I don't think it did any better than the Cortisone. It hurts right now. I asked the doctor if we can take a different approach. I would like to get more frequent injections, and then scale back on the frequency. So far the doctor doesn't want to do that. At this point she doesn't want to do anything less than 4 months intervals. I was able to arrange another one, (maybe two) in July.

• Posted

Rick, thanks very much for responding. Glad to hear PRP worked for your right shoulder! Good luck with the left. My dr says that there has been tissue growth (or whatever) filling in where he wanted it to, but the pain and loss of range of motion and strength since I got PRP 6+ months ago has been super disappointing. I'm worse off than I was before the injections. PT and acupuncture have been really helpful; I'm slowly getting back to the base from which I started.

Sarah

• Edited

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear that the PRP isn't working for you. It might be like my left shoulder, that the dr. thinks is too far gone. There's always cortisone that might work for you. I understand if you don't want it. Each injection does ruin your shoulder a little bit more, and it doesn't last as long, each time, but it does relieve pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.