Shoulder Latarjet Procedure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

After some advice from anyone who has had the above surgery done?  I find it really hard to find anyone online with experience of this surgery.

The history-  I had regular shoulder dislocation and had a labrum repair and tightening of the capsule via athroscopic procedure in 2003,  this worked well but failed in 2016 when I was swimming (breast stroke) and it dislocated again, and this started all the ball rolling again with regular dislocations.

The surgeon advised I could have same procedure done again but recommend the latarjet which I went with and had it done 2 weeks go (11th June)

I have been in a sling since and have another week before I can take it off and have no physio planned to start until 6 weeks

I am still in a lot of pain 2 weeks on and the surgeon said this would be the case but anyone got experience of this and when it eases but also what the physio is like as I am so scared as I am so stiff which is what causes the pain, little things like sneezing hurt so much.

I am also paranoid that something has gone wrong and it will dislocate again as the pain feels like a dislocation but not sure that Is right either.  I saw the consultant on Friday and he said all went well but didn't say anymore and said it will take time to get over it.  I did have a different surgeon to the one in 2003 so am a little anxious due to that too..

I just love to hear from anyone who has had this operation done and can provide their views / history behind it and just how long it does take to fully recover but more importantly does it dislocate anymore, does it feel more secure too?  I am so paranoid over this point especially as I travel abroad a lot with work and my travel ins will not cover my shoulder so always have that fear,  it happened once in Majorca but on a family holiday and I had a bill of over 7000 euros a

Thanks in advance for your help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of this surgery but it sounds similar to Bankart lesion surgery which I did have. I suspect that your recovery is going to be similar to other shoulder surgery recoveries. How are you doing since you first posted? 

• Posted

Thank you for replying to me,  I am doing better than I was.  I am out the sling and it just really aches

I hve been told to put my hands on top of my head and that's it but that is a real struggle and I am now 4 weeks on.

When I look in the mirror I see my whole shoulder lift up whereas my good arm you can see the arm movement but the arm with surgery it looks like the whole shoulder lifts if that makes sense

It is the top of my arm that hurts the most/aches but again I am told it is healing beautifully (surgeon words 1 week ago)

I am very anxious as don't want anymore dislocations, the good news is I know I cant dislocate it at present as cant even get my arm to raise high enough

I had athroscopic procedure in 2003 for bankart repair and this feels so much worse albeit I do seem to be out the sling quicker.  I can move the arm up in front of me,  IE lift it forward and up,  its lifing to the side and putting on my head that is very painful

• Posted

I also have bicep tendonitis and pain above my shoulder. I can lift my arm above my head but not without pain a lot of pain. I sure hope that it's healing beautifully. 

Give yourself time. You've been through something similar before so you know that healing is going to take a while! 

• Posted

Thank you

Did you have the same procedure?

Hope your pain eases soon too

• Posted

No, hopefully I never have to have any kind of surgery again! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.