Shoulder MRI or Ultrasound for PMR DX???

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I'm the difficult one here...nobody wants to diagnose me but have every classic PMR symptom..but no blood markers....my Rheumy has again reluctantly given me another Medrol Dose Pack (I told her I felt like I was weeks away from a wheelchair!) AND she wants an MRI of my shoulders...if any signs of inflammation she may be closer to diagnosing me...has anyone else been diagnosed due to results from Ultrasound or MRI?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No I haven't while I was in hospital the other week Ijust had scans on my liver and one remaining kidney. In saw the Rheumatalogistn while I was in but haven't had an appointment in the clinic yet and I wondered why. I was told by the nursing staff gthat there are not many of them around and it taes ages to see them. I am actually desparate to see someone as I m not sleeping, the pains are flitting about all over my body and I am not sure what to take. I cannot ha

ve paracetamol anymore coz of my liver. I do have morphinen which works on some pains, also Tramadol which works on others but the headache I just can't shake off.  I still have inflammatory blood markers but they do zilch to stop the pain. I DON'T KNOW WHAT mEDROL IS ? i'LL ASK MY GP if he can hurry it up. I am sorry that you are also going through an awful lot. After being a RN all my working life I am now the patient and it's very difficult to know what I know and to deal with it effectively.

• Posted

Go to this link and read up on it.   Make sure you have had a Vit D exclusion test.

http://www.pmr-gca-northeast.org.uk/assets/files/pmr_resource_9.pdf

Diagnosis and Treatment of PMR.

This 'no blood' markers' makes me want to hit the person - they only tell the medics, something is ' going on' when rasied and then they have to find out what.

Some people's ESR and CRP never move at all..........grrrrrrrrr

• Posted

There are people who have been diagnosed by MRI. However - you must be off steroids or on a very low dose or they interfere with the result as it immediately suppresses the inflammation they are looking for. GCA can be diagnosed by ultrasound - but it is a different matter for PMR. I don't know if the brachial artery shows anything in PMR.

I think I'd be looking for another rheumy - or offering her some reading matter. Up to 20% of patients with PMR or GCA do NOT have raised blood markers. And she should be able to look that up.

• Posted

Seriously Eileen...I'm beyond frustrated but am determined to get a diagnosis...I do see a new Rheumy the end of next month...highly recommended..i have spent thousands on scans blood work test etc over the last year and a half...I would rather not have the MRI if it's not necessary...guess I will just deal until next month and revel in the fact I will at least be pain free for a week with my medrol dose pack...thank you for your thoughts!

• Posted

In fact - I forgot to mention that an ordinary MRI won't show anything. You need a PET-MRI to show up the inflammation rather than the structures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.