Shoulder MRI results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. I had surgery twice on my shoulder and this past September was my last one which was a scope. I’m still having a lot of issues. I can’t deal with the pain from of raising my arm, brushing my hair or washing it. Pushing and pulling doors and just simple things. It snaps,pops and hurts bad. I have ongoing neck issues and my orthopedic Dr thinks my neck issues are contributing to my shoulder pain. Mind you my sleep is disturbed from the time I lay down and all through the night. I had a Mri on Tuesday and if anyone can interpret these, I would be so grateful. Here it goes.

Low grade articular sides tear of the supraspinatus just proximal to the insertion with tendinosis.

Severe degeneration of the labrum with attenuation.

Full thickness articular cartilage loss on the anterior half of the Glenn is. Large inferior glenohumeral osteophytes and large subchondral cysts in the Flemish.

Moderate acromioclaviicular osteoarthritis.

Corticated loose body at the subcapular recess. Mild synovitis. 

I know that seems like a lot but I’m scared of what the Dr may have to tell me. There has been several discussions of total shoulder replacement and I’m 43. Thank you for any information. I know my neck isn’t causing all of this pain in my shoulder. I believe this stuff isn’t normal.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would get a second opinion! I had a shoulder replacement in April last year and I'm 54 and still have pain. I did my physical therapy and still do at home and still can't move my arm over my head . My left arm is going out now and I'm not going to do another replacement.

• Posted

Good morning Beth, I haven’t had a shoulder replacement yet. I had my last scope and when he got in there it was much worse than he anticipated. So he did micro fracture drilling to build up scar tissue. My shoulder never got better. It hits all the time. Movement just intensify so bad with movement. Plus sleep is horrible. I don’t know what these MRI results are going to tell me and I’m scared he is going to say total shoulder replacement?
  • Posted

Hi Tina, I'm so sorry this is causing you pain. It sounds like you have a lot going on.

From reading so much about my own condition I know that the supraspinatus is a tendon on the side of your humerus (top of the arm bone) I think with that being torn you would feel pain on the outside of the arm. All the rest seems to be hurting you as well. 

I'm not sure about surgery but I'd suggest getting in touch with the best surgeon you can find.

• Posted

Tina,

I would still was get a second opinion. I should of got one. My shoulder was in bad shape I didn't have any other choice than to have a reverse shoulder replacements . I have been in Tire Sales for 23 years so picking up tires and wheels just hurt my shoulder. So good luck and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Beth and Nicole, I worked cleaning houses for over 20 years. I wish I knew back then what I know now. My knees are shot as well. I have had 8 knee surgeries in 2 years and now have to wait it out on a knee replacement. I have definitely had my fair shake at surgeries and they haven’t been pleasant. I hope that total shoulder replacement can be pushed out for a while. I haven’t heard from my dr yet about my results. My shoulder has a lot of pain in front, back and under my arm pit. My dr thinks the issues around the back side of my shoulder is my neck issues. I have a hard time believing that. Considering that I have had injections and the RF on my neck and it was all numb and still had the shoulder pain. It doesn’t go away ever. It’s a constant nuisance. I hope you all get to feeling better soon too. It’s a struggle and these support groups help a lot. Thanks a bunch.
  • Posted

I had a lot of popping and clicking in my shoulder and when it would do that, it was like someone stuck a hot knife in  my shoulder.  The MRI showed a lot of loose bodies.  Loose bodies are pieces of tendon and tissue that have broken off from a tear or degeneration and float around in the joint catching on bone etc.  My doctor showed me pictures of my shoulder from the surgery (7 weeks ago) and boy was it a mess in there.  Lots of pieces of tendon and old sutures and pieces of old suture posts.  He offered me a couple of options based on the  MRI.  One was a clean up and smoothing out of everything. That also cleans out the arthritis.  That sounds  like it could be an option for you. However it would not work for me because the supraspinitus was totally torn off the bone and retracted.  The other option was reconstruction (which i did) and last was reverse joint replacement.  He did not want to do that because he said I was too young for that.  I am 70.   He said joint replacement is the last option.  I hope it goes well with the doctor and he can just clean things up for you.  I understand that is a fairly easy surgery.  10 days in a sling and physical therapy.   Let us know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.