Shoulder pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

snyone know how i can ease the tension in my neck and shoulders pls? Im in pain all the time, im not sleeping at all and feel trapped in a vicious circle of pain and insomnia.. Ive tried a support pillow, soaking in the bath, amitryptyline, brufen,, Its not budging..

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cath

I have a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders too and also have trouble sleeping. It hurts so much even if you try to get a massage on it.  I have found taking gentle deep breaths from the stomach do help alleviate the pains slightly.  Try and do 3 mins on breathing and see if it helps.  Try to do often when you have time to yourself.

Gentle hugs biggrin x

• Posted

Hi Cath 

sorry to hear your in so much pain , this too is my worst area of pain . I use a wheat bag warmed in the microwave when mines bad this is only temporary relief but better than nothing I also let warm water from shower ease the pain I know a lot of suffers can't stand the shower but it works for me temporarily.i also gently massage the muscle myself as as it's too painful if I let someone else to it.

i am also on amitryptyline have been for one week so not sure if this has kicked in yet but seem to be sleeping better.

sorry I don't have any better advise for you, it's very frustrating I know but it's about managing the pain and not looking for a cure as it's always going to be with us . We just have better days than others. 

Gentle hugs and take care 

Karen.x

• Posted

Hi Cath, when I saw the first bit of your post I thought ' right, I can suggest all the things I do,' but it seems you may have tried them all! I find soaking in the bath with magnesium flakes in helps mine, plus I have a neck support pillow, although I'm not sure if that helps me. You could try magnesium oil spray on your neck and shoulders. I've just started using this not only on my neck and shoulders, but other areas as well. I wonder how long you tried amitriptyline for? And have you tried other analgesic such as codeine? xx
  • Posted

Ive had amitryptyine for yrs on and on and it makes me feel really ill, Codiene is a no go as i cant tolerate it at all, i have to go to bed if i take it.. My neck and shoulders are so tense and then it affects everywhere.
    • Posted

Oh dear, the only other thing I find helpful is hot water bottles, or as Karen says, microwave wheat bag. Have you tried these, and/or magnesium oil spray? xx
  • Posted

Poor you Cath, really feeling for you, I have a cloud pillow...just awesome...heat packs are great too. I have a sauna, the infrared  is just awesome for the pains...I was interested to know how long you were on Amitriptilyne for, as I've taken 25mg before bed for over 16 years now and it's  the only thing that gives me relief.,also maybe if it was in affective for you, maybe your dosage needed looking at...they do take a little while of continual use before you feel the  effects..like most things do......hope you get some relief soon Cath. Have a lovely Eastertime..be blessed..:-) xxx
  • Posted

I tried it for yrs but it makes me ill like a hangover effect and dry mouth, ive altered the dose, it does help longterm its just a horrible drug,, ive taken it this week and feel like a zombie, no energy and sleepy and just ill.
    • Posted

Yes it made me feel like a zombie too the next day...when my doc put me on a too higher dose years  ago...I take 25 mg at  7- 8pm daily...it gives me a really good nights sleep and numbs the lain at the breve end and stops it from travelling fro. Nerve to nerve, it was originally used as an antidepressant, but they found that it was really good for stopping pain..well numbing it and stopping it from travelling etc...that's why I was feeling like a zombie ....I guess the antidepressant part of it is a bonus somewhat too..most of us get depressed from time to time with this rotten Fibro.....sooo sad that it's not working for you...where are living? ..I'm in Australia and it's 8.45pm here....have a great Eastertime Cath..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Wales and its 11 am and ive got work even though id like to call in sick x
  • Posted

Cath, my shoulder gives me the most pain it's relentless, goes up my neck down my arm, around my ribs gives me headaches etc. nothing helped until I saw an article about mysofacial pain (I think that's right!) and trigger points. It seems mine originates from the Middle of my shoulder blade and apparently that's a trigger point. It was suggested using a golf ball, put it on the floor and lie on it pressing it into the trigger point around the shoulder blade. First time I did it I nearly hit the roof with pain! But i noticed my symptoms had eased SLIGHTLY the next day. Did it again every few days, it gets less painful each time and my pain in my shoulder is now around a 2/3 rather than the previous 8/9, worth a try! xx
    • Posted

Well yrs ago my trigger was my chest , i used to get sharp pains but now its my neck although i do get the odd chest pain,, What im finding now is i get neck and shoulder pain and then the whole of my left side hurts, i get earache and numbness , i also have problems lifting my arms, generally worn out and aching and everythings an effort , sleepless nights and aches and pains, no energy at all..
  • Posted

if you can get in a bath magneisum sea flakes and soak in bath 

if not a really hot shower and then a really cold gel seems the only thing that helps me

• Posted

I was also getting the numbness even up my neck to my cheek some days and also having difficulties swallowing! But all symptoms have eased since my shoulder has eased thank goodness x
  • Posted

Hello Cath..I understand where you arre coming from. I too get dreadful pain in my neck and shoulder blades. Its trial and error, what I do is use heat pads on shoulder blade area and wear a scarf to warm up my neck, it sure helps..I know I look strange at night especially with the heating on and a scarf around my neck, but I don't care it helps me. Have a good day...Anne..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.