Shoulder Pain after Falling on it with Arm Outstretched

Posted , 5 users are following.

About two months ago I fell on my left shoulder with my arm outstretched.  I didn't think I fell hard, but I'm now 49 and things seem to break easier. 

It's now been two months and the shoulder pain seems as strong as it was right after it happened.  My shoulder doesn't seem to be healing.  I have pain in the shoulder sometimes when I sleep and it almost seems like it's worse when I wake up in the morning.

I can raise my arm out in front and over my head without pain.  If I bend my arm at the elbow (like a chicken wing) and then raise my arm out, it hurts quite a bit.  If my arm is hanging at my side and I put resistance on it and try to lift my arm, it hurts a lot.  If I hold my arm straight out to the side and downward pressure is put on it, I can hold it pretty steady without pain.  But, if hanging at my side straight down and I try to lift my arm with downward pressure on it, it hurts quite a bit.

It's just weird that it's not feeling better after two months.  It doesn't help that I'm mostly left handed and continue to use it quite a bit.  Any thoughts?  Also, any advice on rehab?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I fell exactly the same way 2 years ago... I  multi fractured my shoulder... took 5 months to heal and I  am lucky to have at least 65% normal movement. Still, have muscle pain through the entire arm.  I would suggest you head down to A&E(ER) and get that checked out asap.

• Posted

go to Dr and ask for MRI.  Sounds like a rotator cuff tear. I fell from MTB on outstretched arm. I am a Physical Therapist and waited 5 weeks before finally going to MD for MRI. I  had very similar symptoms. I though I could just treat it myself and it got a little better over a few weeks but at 5 weeks, after taking a bike ride and then blow drying my hair, I had severe pain. Blow drying is very hard on a rotator cuff tear and I had been letting my hair stay curly for the first 5 weeks after the injury. Long story short, I had complete tear supraspinatus and complete tear of a part of the infraspinatus, and labrum tear. I ended up having surgery and they Dr also found that the bicep tendon was shredded (but that was probably already in the works prior to the fall). You just won't know till you have an MRI. If you're lucky, there won't be a tear and you can get some therapy to help resolve the issue. Best of Luck!

• Posted

I'm sorry that happened to you! You need to go see an Orthopedic, and most likely get a xray and MRI, then you can see what's going on. You might have of tore your rotator cuff. You won't know for sure until you have a MRI. I'll keep you in my prayers too! I don't if you are a strong believer in our Lord Jesus Christ, but if so, talk to Him, and ask Him to give you strength to get through and to ease your pain. Please keep us informed. I pray you get some relief, and the pain goes away real soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.