Shoulder pain after knee replacemen!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone 

Well today I am 8 weeks after partial knee replacement. It hasn't been easy but then who's is. I have been told to walk half mile every day working up to a mile. Along with still doing my exercises I am doing the walking however,  I have been troubled with pain when walking so resorted to using a cane/walking stick as told by my physio.  For the past week my shoulders and collar bone are hurting- a lot! Especially when using a rail to walk up and down my stairs. I am wondering if it is the stick and if anyone else has had a similar problem.  Any advice would be appreciated. I have tried playing around with the height of the cane but can't do anything about the stair rail.

my physio is on holiday so I can't ask what exercise i can do to relive the pain.

The upside is I walked almost two miles today (slowly! Taking almost 90 minutes) with my cane for knee support.

thanks

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would love to hear the responses. I have had terrible pain in my shoulder joints. I can hardly pick anything up
  • Posted

Fantastic walk!!   What's the story about the stair rail?  Are you using the stick for the stairs?  My shoulders and collar bone are hurting too.  If you can - I'd try heat or ice and see what works better for you.  Do you feel that shoulders etc are causing pain too? Do you think it could be from using the stick?  I had to use just one crutch (already stopped using it after one month post TKR.  My neighbours hit me and my shoulders are causing pain for me too.  With me it's probably a hang over effect from the attack, but I have arthritis in my hand as well, so it could just be related to that.  Back to the stairs query - could be due to walking with a stick possibly.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl    It's the hand rail I use when going up and down stairs. My stairs are very steep and my new knee isn't strong enough to pull me up yet so I pull upwards on the hand rail or hold it to let myself down gently when going downstairs. I had to stop knitting a couple of years ago as my shoulders were hurting then. Thought it might be a bit of arthritis as I have had a rotator cuff injury about ten years ago. Everything had settled down though until the last few weeks which has coincided with more walking and more walking stick use.

sorry to hear you were attacked by your neighbour how awful is that.

• Posted

Can you use two sticks rather than one?

So pressure shared?

No need to rush things.

Maybe Google some shoulder exercises...yoga practice includes lots. Your shoulder may be getting tight.

I had shoulder pain post TKR at around 14 weeks. It wasn't related to using crutches I don't think but was related to adjustments in the way I was walking.

I saw an osteopath who loosened it up..it was really tight. A bit of relaxation and stretching plus moving it about may help.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

I have been using 2 sticks until today but decided as I dont use one at all around the house to see what I could do with one (being vain!!) I seemed to walk ok with one just the distance today made me tired. Actually both shoulders hurt so may be it is how I ma now holding myself.

​My walking mantra is:- heel toe, heel toe, shoulders down head up - its a wonder I get anywhere. (LOL)

Might try an osteopath.

Thanks

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing well after TKR. But yes, there can be pains elsewhere as we up the activity levels and our gait and posture may still be off, muscles still not back to normal, the effect of walking with sticks and suchlike.

?I find it is a bit like starting over, had shoulder pain last week after a day out. Today it is back pain after trying to do a bit of garden work. Oh dear, it is a slow process, I'm slower than most as knee not been great up to 21 weeks, still playing up if I try to so much and had not bend at 10 weeks due to scarring and needed manipulation. The nurse told me to take otc ibuprofen and paracetamol as per pack instructions and stay mobile but not overdo it. The ibuprofen pills I have to take care with, but I took paracetamol and applied ibuprofen gel instead. You could try icing the sore area, or applying warm pad, depending on what works best. My mother had problems with her walking stick giving her a painful shoulder some times and found a gel handled cane was better.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia

​You are correct all sorts of pains have come out of the woodwork since the op. It is only now at 8 weeks that I think I am doing ok but still cant sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time and have a painful knee most of the time. I hate taking medication so try keeping it in check with icing etc.

Just got a smaller walking stick today (or at least one that reduces in length better) I am hoping that might be the answer. I had hoped to be not using one by now but I still find I need the support for longer outings.

Might try a heat pad on my shoulders too.

Thanks

• Posted

Tricia,  you already understand that the way you are using the rail to navigate the stairs is your issue.  You are pulling and putting pressure on your shoulders and collar bone.  Have you thought of using two sticks for walking and the stairs?  

Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam I suppose I thought it was the increased use of the sticks with more walking as it has only recently become an issue and of course I have been navigating the stairs for 8 weeks.

however I will try and see if I can actually climb the stairs with just sticks. My problem here is my "good" knee has taken so much hammer that it too is now weak hence my continued use of the rail. I will certainly give it a try thanks.

• Posted

Tricia, I navigated the stairs one stair at a time for a long time.  I even came down the stairs backwards...it was easier on my knees.  

Hope it it gets better.

Pam

• Posted

Thanks for the input Pam.  I suppose I can always go up and down on my bottom😂 Might even do it some good! Before my op I came down stairs side ways as I found this much easier. The physio told me I would knock my hip out doing that. Tried it yesterday and once again it actually works. It seems every thing is a trade off!  Going up is just hard slow graft . We will get there in the end.

• Posted

I'm gonna just guess that you are not walking vertically but are doing so more "stooped or hunched over"...leaning the upper body forward.  If so (and we all do it), then that could account for the pain you are experiencing.  If you find this to be the case, concentrate on your posture to see if that helps.  If you find yourself slouching over as you get tired, you may want to consider a good back brace (Alpine) to help you stay vertical.  I've had a number of fusions along with hip and knee replacements.  The brace is a really great help.

I would try concentrating first...for a short distance.  If the pain subsides, you found your answer.  Also, Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a great topical anti-inflammatory.  Check for interactions; ask your doc for some.

• Posted

WOW!!!! I've had shoulder pain (mostly in my right side....same side as TKR) for about 3 mths now.  It hurts to raise my arm over my head, and to reach behind my back. I thought just "more arthritis" getting my joints.....but after reading everyone's comments....maybe not??!! I've been taking aspirin/Tylenol.....massaging with "ice gel", and doing some easy exercises. Only temporary ease of pain.  I just want to know one thing....does it get better??

• Posted

Hi gerianne. I have not used the walking stick for the last three days (since my marathon 2 miler😊wink in an attempt to rest my shoulders. It has worked but I still feel it a bit, funnily enough when I lay down. I need to see how far I can walk without needing a stick or alter my stance.

good luck with yours.

• Posted

I haven't been using a cane for several months now.  not sure if my shoulder pain is related to previously using it, or just a new pain to deal with. O almost feels as if it's a "torn muscle" rather than the joint. All I know is it hurts like heck!! Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Can you lift your arm up and to the side? If not then it might be a damaged rotator cuff. I had one in 2009 and it was awful -the worst pain ever. I needed an injection into the joint. Hope it isn't that. 

• Posted

Gosh!! I hope not either!!  I can lift it up & to the side, but it does hurt a bit. Putting my arm behind my back also hurts.  And reaching behind the car seat to get my purse (I put it behind the passenger seat when driving). Maybe it's time for a visit with my doc 😬  

• Posted

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do THIS!"

Doctor: "Don't do that."

- Henny Youngman, 1946

• Posted

I did chuckle "just a bit" at your comment.....it isn't just those things that cause pain...sometimes just moving my arm....which we ALL (even YOU!!) have to do at some point in the day....causes pain. I usually just cuss a bit when it hurts, which is often in the day....and night...trying to sleep, or just turn over in bed......but I figure if I stop using my arm so as not to feel any pain at all....I'll lose the use of my arm. 

• Posted

LOL exactly how I think too.  There's  not even a winky emoticon here to add! 

• Posted

My wife has had two rotator cuff tear repairs (100% and then 75% after she fell on it again 6 months later).  If she doesn't move it, she'll end up with what they call a "frozen shoulder".  Then you're toast...  Ease into it gradually.  Just like the knee, you cannot just jerk it upwards.  Slow and easy but be consistent every day.  

Find a nice flat wall somewhere in your house.  Put a 3-foot piece of masking tape from shoulder height vertically up the wall.  Place your palm on the tape.  With your fingers, inch up the tape (like a bug crawling up the wall) until you've reached what you think is your limit.  Go an extra half inch.  Now inch your hand back down.  Do this at least 5 times.  With your other hand, put a mark on the tape where you reached your highest point and date it.  Do this every day...easy...don't push it way too hard.  Watch your progress...you'll love it. 

I've had two shoulder surgeries for sub-acromial impingements.  Got completely rehabbed in less than 60 days by doing this plus using exercise bands and throwing overhand curve balls at a bounce-back net.  From a side-arm delivery two weeks after surgery to a full 360-degree rotation (arm straight up) in no time at all.  The difference is that once you get in a groove, you can push a shoulder and arm more than you can a knee, which ends up like a balloon.

Start with the "wall crawl"...get your arm back fast. 

• Posted

Thanks for your words of wisdom. Lol. I will give it a try. I sure don't want to have another surgery...of any kind.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.