shoulder pain after SAD operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I had sub acromonal decompression 6wks ago. I cant understand why the pain goes on and on noone seems tohave any answers. one person says it can take months another say days. having had many surgeries i can get free from pain. I am taking tramadol using ice and freeze spray.

has anyone else suffered like this. thks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes,

This is a common one. I've had decompression, why hasn't my pain subsided.

It normally takes 8-10 weeks to notice a real improvement.  However, if you still have pain after 12 weeks (three months), go back and see 'em

Thx, NICK

• Posted

Hi. I had the SAD op just over 4 weeks ago along with a rotator cuff repair.  I was surprised that the pain increased quite a bit last week but after seeing the physio yesterday he assured me that it isn't unusual, especially as I have been quite active.  No resistance exercises at all but regularly doing the passive ones and normal day to day activities.  Apparently I have good mobility and even though I also have elbow pain, he seems pleased with how I am doing.  He said soft tissue takes 6 weeks to heal and bone takes three months.  Night times are the worst so I take a couple of paracetamol before bad and my trusty ice pack comes with me.  I am also taking anti inflammatories again for a bit as I have a little inflammation around my collarbone area.  I was really despondent at the weekend with not being able to see an end in sight, but trying to look on it as healing pain that will improve.  I think in the big picture for you also, it is still early days.  I don't think I really appreciated before surgery, just how long drawn out recovery can be.
    • Posted

Hi your so right I think I didn't take on board the talk on pain I get conflicting information from physio I have good movement and am thankful I kept fit prior to surgery

However paracetamol is by no means strong enough. I need to stop beating

myself up it is early days but gosh the pain is soul destroying

Thks

• Posted

I think it's good that you were fit pre surgery.  My physio said I could return to the gym which I did last week and although it was very light cardio and no shoulder movement, I think obviously there was some movement and that sparked off the pain and it is only just calming down to a more acceptable ache.  You are right that paracetamol doesn't really touch it but tramadol messes with my head a bit and I was still in pain so decided to bite the bullet without.  Hopefully we will look back on this in a few weeks time and consider ourselves lucky.  Fingers crossed.
    • Posted

I sure hope so. I have physio this morning. Tramadol makes me drowsy and feel sticky. Also gives me sweats. You'll probably find me having another rant before it's over. Thank you for taking the time to chat it's appreciated. Take care Jane
  • Posted

Good luck with the physio.  I think it helps to communicate with others who have had the same surgery. I had a rough couple of hours last night but better this morning.  It's good to know we are not going through this alone and to read that others have come through it the other side.  
    • Posted

Hi having been to aptly named miss whip lash I feel more positive. I still think she's a beast but am going to try and carry on as normal rather than fretting. I hope your ok and if I can offer any comfort I'm here. We shall chat again

Jane

• Posted

Glad it went okay.  It does sometimes seem one step forward and two back though.  On a positive note, I showered today, and for the first time shampooed my hair without thinking about it.  Up to now, I haven't done this upright as I was too nervous to stretch my arms too much above my head so it must be a bit of progress at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.