Shoulder pain and knocking/clunking after rotator cuff revision repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok a short history. 10 months ago I had a rotator cuff repair to my right shoulder after a torn supraspinatus. After that operation I had a fair bit of grinding/crepitus but was told in follow up consultations that it was nothing to worry about. 6 months later I was back having the surgery again as the tendon had torn off again. That was 3 months ago. I've been to physio many times since and followed the guide lines for what exercises to do when. Now I'm sure the tendon is still fine but I have constant clunking in the shoulder whenever I use the arm. The muscles in my shoulder have faded away with lack of use leaving it looking and feeling very boney. I know I need to rebuild the muscles around the joint but it seems the more I exercise it the more soreness I get around the joint. It actually feels like I can feel the anchor pulling on the bone which is still sore. I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation, I need to build muscle to stabilize the shoulder and possibly stop all the clunking, but exercising the shoulder just makes it sore ( I'm not talking about the kind of muscle soreness you get from weight training, more painful )

Do I need to forget the exercises and just let the shoulder fully heal/calm down before trying to build the muscles up? It feels like the clunking is causing the soreness, and the only way to stop that would be to go back to a sling and not use the arm. 

Kevin

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kevin, 

Sorry to hear that you have been through a hell of a time.  I don't have answer that you are expecting but I have queries instead since I am expecting revision surgery too. I did my surgery early this year and not any improvement due to developing  acromion type two on my shoulder. I am not doing any exercise and like you said I have lost muscle aroound the joint and it is really boni.  And struggling to raise my ROM on 90 degree. Well, coming back to you, How did you retear your tendon again and did the surgeon said you will get full ROM and Strength ? 

I am really scared of revision surgery. 

• Posted

Hi Hems06, thanks for the reply and sorry for your problems too. I believe my supraspinatus tore off the 2nd time in the gym. I was a few months down the line and many physio sessions when I started going to the gym ( with my physio's permission ) to do some light machine work to strengthen my shoulder. I think I pushed it slightly too hard or too soon ( which wasn't hard at all, something a 7 year old girl could lift ) . I didn't feel it tear but something didn't feel right and my recovery pain wise seemed to go into reverse from then on so I assume that's when it happened. 

After each op I have regained full range of movement pretty quickly, even on first physio session just over a week after the 2nd op the physio therapist was able to take my arm through near full movement in all directions, she commented that some people take months to get to that point. It may have helped that I've had the decompression done twice so there should be plenty of room in there. Also you have to be fully relaxed and not tense up when they take control of your arm.

3 months on I obviously am moving the arm myself through its full range. The only thing that bothers me is the near constant knocking I get using the arm. Even now sat here typing this as I move around slightly my shoulder/clavical bone area is giving some knocking/clunking. I wouldn't describe it as grinding/popping or snapping as I've heard others say, it sounds/feels like the bones are bumping into each other ( could be tendons I guess snagging on bones ). Also although I have full range and maybe even moderate strength every time I put any kind of load on the shoulder joint it feels like the anchor is being pulled on giving me pain.

The surgeon? Last time  saw him and demonstrated the noise he just said it will become good as the muscle builds back up and centres/stabilises the joint. That was over a month ago though and it hasn't  improved yet. I've decided at this point not to exercise it for a week and see if the soreness improves, I may go back to the consultant and see what he says soon if I see no improvement.

I don't think any surgeon will give you guarantees, he gave the possible outcomes to me in % before the operation, you know, there's a 90% chance of full recovery, 5% chance of infection etc ( I'm making those numbers up ).

Hope your surgery and recovery goes well. 

• Posted

Hi Kevin, 

Yeah, I just saw a Dr today and he recommends me to go through surgery 'subacromional decompression'  and has ordered an MRI too.  He also says that I can wait another 2 months if it improves but I don't think so it will as it hasn't got any better in 3 months. so,  I might do the surgery now.  Not going to do - wait and see.  hope you are doing well ! 

• Posted

I've had enough of this soreness, I've rested it for over a week now giving the exercises a rest. It hasn't helped, still as sore and clunky as ever. I'm going to call for another appointment with my consultant/surgeon tomorrow. 

• Posted

Is this never ending? I saw my consultant yesterday and he tells me I've now got a different problem, an AC joint grade 2 injury which basically means my clavicle bone is slightly dislocated and sticking up. This has closed the gap on the end of it so that's where the clunking is coming from. He gave me a steroid injection for the pain/swelling and sent me away telling me to stop demonstrating the knocking noise to everyone :>wink, ice the shoulder and try to use it less. Apparently in most cases surgery isn't required for grade 2 unless you get to grade 3 where the clavicle has torn further tendons and raised up more. 

The question is how did I do it? He assures me it's unrelated to previous surgeries and is usually caused by injuring oneself, i.e. falling over etc. I've babied this arm for the last 12 months with all the issues and 2 surgeries so no idea how it happened. Fingers crossed it sorts itself out. 

• Posted

Hi Kevin, I've had 4 surgeries on my left shoulder in tge last 17 months! I broke it, then had two capsular releases done  I am on my third round of rehab and restrengtgening. I can tell you I've had the exact same clunking, clicking, grinding and never ending pain as I try to build up the muscles again. Keep doing the exercises, but with very very low weights, ie, 1-lb until no pain and crepitus. It does go away eventually. Focus especially on the scapular exercises... lying prone on your stomach on a bench, raising arm to front and side with just 1-lb.  every day... after about two months it starts to relieve the problem. If you get pain flaring up, I find it best to stick to therabands fir a day, and then go back to weights, but keep at it... it's a long road. I lose hope sometimes but have to keep focused. Hang in there!

• Posted

Oh no !!! You are making me scared. I have an appointment next week. I believe there must be something wrong going on with my shoulder since it is not improving like Dr expected 3 months ago. I dunno what's happening with it. it's going to be 9 months next month since I had first surgery.  So, frustrated. !!! Good luck with your recovery 👍👍👍

• Posted

Hello, I had a crazy accident resulting in dislocation of my shoulder.  I ripped three of the four r c muscle tendons when the shoulder dislocated.  Two complete massive tears and retractions from the humeral head.  The third subscapularis tore nearly complete but held in the middle.  Supraspinatus and infraspinatus had to be surgically reattached to the humeral head with screws and sutures.  15 weeks after the repair surgery my PT ripped the supraspinatus completely off its anchors.  I had to have re-repair (revision) surgery less than four months after the first surgery.  I was only using  2 lb wt.I am 16 weeks away from the second surgery.  The surgeon used a "double row of anchors" to reattach the supraspinatus tendon to the humeral head.  A three-hour surgery took FIVE hours.    I have a full range of motion.  I improved rapidly and pain-free under the guidance of an exceptional physical therapist.  I went to this pt rather than the boob who ripped the tendon off its anchor.  I am taking a break from PT for several weeks.  I will see the surgeon in October.  I DARE NOT go to the gym or lift anything overhead/above the shoulder until I see the surgeon.  I will not get back into the water until I see the surgeon in October.  DARE NOT do anything...I too am active.  I was a competitive swimmer.  I was a collegiate All-American and champion.  My years and years of swimming gave me a recovery edge, but I will not do anything, i.e., lifting, carrying overhead or shoulder height until my surgeon and pt okays it.  You/we need to be smart(er) and not rush it.  Who cares if the weights you are working with are light enough for a seven-year-old girl to lift.  You must be smarter, and you must be vigilant with this recovery.  You may not have enough healthy tendon left to have a third repair.You must follow your home treatment plan.  You must be patient.  At 3-4 months the repaired tendons are not even 70% healed.  Be careful.  ICE, ICE, ICE and stop lifting.  Use your bands and cords.  Use your stretching exercises.  SLOW AND STEADY WINS THIS RACE!! GOOD LUCK and keep your chin up!!!

• Posted

Thanks Henpen, wise words. Sounds like you're having a hard time, nasty injury. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

ME, today, I AM NORMAL discharged from PT with FULL range of motion and visiting surgeon soon for another check-in. I requested a break from PT at this point...BORING... I will be back in the water next month.  Winter break I will renew my LG and WSI certs.  I AM DOING GREAT despite the crap of dislocated shoulder, three ripped two complete tears, rehab, pt ripping a repair off its anchors, revision surgery, second rehab, and moving forward!!  I AM GREAT thanks to a fantastic second PT!!!  And an exceptional surgeon and surgical team!!!!! WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.