Shoulder pain for 1 year, what should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last September I started doing some dancing for a bit of fitness. 3 weeks into the weekly sessions I got a sharp stabbing pain radiating through my shoulder from the base of my neck all the way down to the bottom of my rib cage and across. I was seen by a doctor who said I had reactions Frozen shoulder this couldn't of been the case as I have a full range of movement. So I was referred for physio and carried this on for three months with no improvements and re accruing visits to the doctors. By this point I was taking 20 tablets a day including anti depressants as the doctors believed this was the cause. The physio wrote a report back to the doctor explaining that there was no improvment. By this point I had seen 3/4 doctors and I finally was seeing one who was generally concerned and wanting to help. She referred me for blood tests which they found I had a low, but in the normal bracket, levels of b12 and folic acid tablets. They hoped that giving me folic acid tablet supplements would help. These didn't help so I was referred for a neurology appointment which was this morning. From this I will be having an MRI scan however the consultant believes that the reason I am in so much pain is because of my b12 levels. What do I do? This has been going on for nearly a year and in this time I've not been pain free and I am being passed around in circles. Any advice I would be really grateful! 

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Has no one taken an xray? what country are you in 
    • Posted

I've had a neck X-ray to rule out slip disks pinching nerves and a chest X-ray because I get irregular chest pain too. I'm from the UK

• Posted

Why has no one xray your shoulder, that doesnt make sense.  I had a shoulder problem, saw a consultant and the first thing he did was xray the shoulder and I too am in the UK 

DId you not explain the problem is in your shoulder 

• Posted

Yes, from the very beginning. I also wonder why I've never had an X-ray on my shoulder. 

• Posted

Ask your GP for a referral to a shoulder surgeon, he will do one 
  • Posted

Wow....I can't believe they haven't done an MRI? You have to be your own health advocate these days....(look on the internet for similar symptons .....not always a good idea ....but at least you would have someplace to start.) You also have to walk out of your DR'S office feeling like they understand you and your problems. Don't give up! You can find help!

• Posted

Here in the UK an MRI is a last resort as it keeps costs down and its quicker to get an xray done as it only takes a few minutes where as MRI scans take ages. They can usually tell from a simple xray or ultrasound what the problem is. I only needed an MRI when the xray didnt show the problem. 
  • Posted

That's so weird that they thought use of anti depressants could be the cause?  My own experience over waiting 12 years for surgery for Total Knee Replacements, my doctor put me on to assist in the pain.  They helped me greatly.

Re: She referred me for blood tests which they found I had a low, but in the normal bracket, levels of b12 and folic acid tablets I'd be asking for inflammation levels to be checked as well.

My experience over 12 years has also been to be my own advocate.  Keep a chart of when you take each med, when you notice the pain, and how severe it may get, and also tabs on when the pain occurred and what you were doing prior, just to see if there are changes, etc.  Just helps you help them when you go back to them with those notes.  Let us know how you're going.

• Posted

I don't know whether this info will help, but its worth a try - I had very similar issues, pain from lower neck down through one shoulder and into the upper arm, couldn't even dress or undress due to it.  Took me nearly 3 years to get doctors to finally stop telling me it was firstly arthritis, then frozen shoulder (like you it wasn't frozen up at all), then 'lack of sleep' (??? hello!) finally got referred for an ultrasound and it showed I had ruptured tendons in shoulder/bicep. I wasn't doing any gym work or sports activity that would have caused it, so I asked the ultrasound technician what could have happened.  He said it could be any number of things but possibly that I had weakened muscles either due to inflammation or a particular medication (I used to be on statins but stopped due to muscle pain).  I now have the same in the other shoulder/arm.  Saw a surgeon who said he didn't recommend surgery at present.  Had a PT appointment but they didn't do any therapy but did give me a photocopied sheet with some neck exercises.  I think I need to go shout at the doctors again as it's become so painful I can hardly do anything that involves movement of the arms.  Might be worth asking if you can have an ultrasound on the area just in case.  I had blood tests for vitamin levels, all of which were in 'normal' range, including the B vits and D.

• Posted

I recently woke up with excruciating pain in my shoulder and it wouldn't move. After a couple of days went to see the dr who sent me to see a shoulder surgeon. By this time the shoulder was starting to move again. I had the problem where the crystals in the joint move and cause the tendons to swell. Its a well known problem in shoulders and the crystals can often be seen on an xray, mine were as plain as day. It goes away of its own accord, but I had problems before so it could be the crystals if you can move the joint as they dont always stop the joint moving and just cause pain

• Posted

Hi All,

Thank all for the responses. I think an appointment with the doctor is necessary.

• Posted

A little bit of an update. I haven’t yet had my MRI scan but that is due within the next week. However I received a letter today asking for me to make an appointment for a neurophysiology test. I haven’t seen a doctor for months as I’m just waiting this out. Is this normal to receive a test like that out of the blue?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.