shoulder pain when bend over and reach down

Posted , 5 users are following.

My pain is worse in the morning. My shoulder throbs with pain only when im reaching down. Like when I'm putting socks or shoes on. Is this common?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. It's possible the stretching involved could produce pain from the tendons or muscles in your shoulder. Do you have pain while reaching "up"? Washing your hair, putting something up in a cabinet, scratching your back...? I would consider seeing a therapist if that is possible for you. Other than that, no idea. Sorry. Good luck.

• Posted

The pain only comes when I bend over and reach down toward my feet only my left shoulder. The pain feels like its deep in the socket.
  • Posted

Hi. Gosh, I have no idea what this could be, but if it were me, I would probably check with an ortho..just to be on the safe side. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hi. I have this problem too and I don't know what the heck is wrong with me / what causes it. How are you now? Have your shoulder healed? Please update. It would means so much to me. Thank you!

• Posted

Same here...I have no idea how or when this happened. Have you ever got to the bottom of this?
  • Posted

Can't say for sure that my situation is the exact same as yours but thought I would share my experience. Similarly, I experience pain when I'm bent at the waist, arms hanging down and I try and reach for something. Pain also occurs while laying on my side and move my opposite arm to reach across for something. Pain is in the mid-shoulder/uppermost back/scapula area. Pain is acute and not related to any injury that I can think of. It just sort of crept up on me, for no obvious reason.

Had an MRI but it was normal. Physical therapy has been effective in improving my shoulder flexibility/strength but has not completely relieved the pain in that shoulder. Have begun exercises to stretch my chest muscles to help improve my posture but it's going to take some time to completely eliminate the pain. Deep tissue massage therapy has found several knots in my rhomboid and trapezius muscles on the side with pain. I won't say that deep tissue massage doesn't come without its own pain because it does, but it sure honed right into the source of the pain. After numerous discussions and reading about muscle knots, I believe they're the source of MY pain.

Somehow there's a lesson here for me about sedentary posture and standing tall with my shoulders pulled back...I hope I remember it. I'm optimistic that in MY situation continued massage therapy, some home treatment on the knots with a tennis ball, additional physical therapy and conscious changes to my active and sedentary posture will completely resolve the issue. Time will tell. Thanks for letting me share. Seeking professional help, I believe, has set me on the right course. Good luck with finding a way to alleviate your shoulder problems. 

• Posted

"Somehow there's a lesson here for me about sedentary posture and standing tall with my shoulders pulled back" sage advice for all.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.