Shoulder Physical Therapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had shoulder surgery three weeks ago and start PT next week. The order I got says three times a week, for 4 weeks. it also said unrestricted ROM. What exactly does that mean?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I was given this advice, I took it to mean I was allowed to move my arm freely. The only proviso was not to put any strength through it in the weeks immediately following surgery so I took that to mean no weightlifting 😃

• Posted

I have not gone yet for my evaluation with the PT. Did you get that advice at the beginning or end of hour PT? Do you think they will explain that more or check it when I go next week for my first appt?

• Posted

Be careful. Unrestricted ROM at just 4 weeks removed from surgery sounds premature.

• Posted

The tear was not bad, but I am unable to do much more than bend my arm at my elbow. Could that mean by the end of the four weeks? I go next week for my evaluation before my PT begins.

• Posted

i actually had a full rc tear and was told by the physio that the consultant had advised no restriction and no sling other than at night for comfort. As others had advised differently, I actually called the hospital to double check. Sure enough, he said not to use strength but definitely free movement . Have to say I regained full mobility back really quickly although the pain was horrendous for a good while. One of the physios I saw after said it depends on the surgeon as to the advice given as he is the one who wold know the best form or rehab for that particular procedure. I was glad I had taken his advice

• Posted

I wasn't allowed to move mine for 6 weeks , and only out of sling to bathe. After six weeks, only allowed to do pendulums and have passive movement by therapist. I guess there is no gold standard for rehabbing the shoulder. Sadly that is why some of us end up with re tears or frozen shoulder. I am 11 months from surgery and still fighting pain and frozen shoulder complicated by RSD.

• Posted

it means no limits on range of motion. I was in PT the very next day after surgery. I was allowed to dangle my arm n do gentle pendulum swings and shoulder shrugs. After that passive ROM. Im 7 wks now and am doing alot with the shoulder.

• Posted

I was sent to a physio who gave me a 1 kilo dumb bell ,that i had to raise above my head , pure agony ,was told to do it twice a day, increasing the times I did it. The pain was so strong .i actually cried ,I did not do any more of this exercise .In fact I did report him, as he gave me an exercise for a body builder .I have been unable to do the anything with the arm ,for six weeks ,made worse by the fact that I am left handed ,and live alone .I chased people and departments to get help ,,.and tomorrow ,i will be seeing the surgeon .who, i think, will not be impressed by what was done to me .

• Posted

Ha Ha , thank you ,it never dawned on me ,,,, was racking my brain,,

The shoulder was going on O.K until that sodding physio , thought he knew best .I have every intention of making the surgeon aware of what he did to me, Tuesday

10-20 think about me !!!

• Posted

yes, let me know because you should not be lifting especially over your head. My surgeon told me one of his patients was 7 mos post op, was on a plane n a lady was having difficulty lifting a small bag into the overhead bin so the gentleman that he was, he reached up to help her n retore his rotator again. NO LIFTING OVERHEAD.

• Posted

Pity the alleged grade 7 physio didn't know this. My "goodbye" visit with the surgeon, was happy with the fact that I could raise my arm above my head ,,slowly,, and not holding anything, The new physio I have (female ) was not happy about what he had made me do. I now have gentle swinging and squeezing ,as the muscles down to my wrist also hurt ,I cannot hold a magazine now,,the lower arm muscle screams with pain,, and my wrist is painful, and really hurts. hope fully .all will be sorted tomorrow .Thank goodness driving is not a problem ,,big arm rest for support

• Posted

Im so sorry youre going through this but i feel your pain. Saturday my next door neighbor went on vacation for 2 weeks and invited me to use her pool whenever i wanted as therapy in the water is excellent for recovery well as luck would have it, I was sunning myself when i got out and something bit me on the elbow of my surgical arm and now my arm at the elbow is swollen like a balloon and extremely painful all the way down to my hand!! Im allergic to antihistamines so all i can do is apply ice and cortisone cream. Life sucks sometimes

• Posted

Your life sounds like mine ,,,one disaster after another .I'm amazed at how many bits of my body can hurt, and ,,why.. You may have to do something with your swollen elbow, Depending on what bit you ,it could get septic ,then it will be

antibiotics ..a tad dangerous if left . Don't leave it too long ,

• Posted

Im a trauma/flight nurse so im monitoring my arm pretty closely. I think it was a carpenter ant. I saw a giant one on the arm of the chaise lounge i was lying on. They inject formic acid in their sting just like fire ants. Im keeping an eye on it. I have an MD appt wednesdsy so ill mention it. Its like Murphys law. If its gonna happen, it happens to me lol

• Posted

Hello ,a few hours have passed .I went to Chatsworth Park, to see the deer ,and I always enjoy the drive "Over the Tops " (across the moors). You obviously don't live in the U.K , don't think we have any ferocious spiders. Are you sure you ought to wait so long.??? You , of all people .should know better. Will tell you the outcome of tomorrows consultant's diagnosis....AGAIN .. !!! Hope you extinguished the spider..x

• Posted

it was an ant and my arm is getting better. Keep my informed about your shouldet

• Posted

morning ......what a waste of 2 hours . Did I get to see the consultant ?? NO, Did I get to see yet another physio ??YES.. Did she know why I was there ??NO.. I had to go through the whole issue again, including present problems ,meds ,allergies etc.. Why are copious notes taken at every meeting ,which are never referred to ,and so save lots of time . She had a twist and a prod , up and down ,until I got to yelp mode.

Sent for x rays ,sat again, whilst I was discussed /with the surgeon ,who had said that he would do the operation and sew the tear, ,but I would have to wear a sling for 3 months .I told her that would be O'K buy totally unfeasible ,being left handed ,which they knew ,and that I had absolutely no one to help me ,I was told I

would be able to butter bread !!!!! What about changing duvets ,ironing ,cooking ,showering, ??? I did ask if the tear was bigger due to the excessive pull on my shoulder and muscles ..She lied to me and said ,he wouldn'tknow until he got inside .He did actually show me the x ray of the tear last time, so I assumed it is now bigger ,She offered no advice on anything, and was not interested in the lower arm muscle pain, which she decide was something else even though I said that everything that was now hurting big time ,,did not hurt before. Her parting words were ,,if you change your mind ,you know where we are, So, that.s it,,,, still got my damaged shoulder and arm, and a cost of another £25 for taxis . The offending physio was not mentioned by her at all, in spite of my telling her about him ..

i

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.