Shoulder Spur Surgery Tomorrow

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder tomorrow. I know there will be pain for at least 2-5 days (per the surgeon). What should I expect, how long is recovery, how long for good mobility of arm?

thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

JRS I'm sorry to hear your going through this procedure. I hope everything goes well! Well the first 12-24 hours you will not be in to much pain because your block will still be in place. The doctor will tell you to take your pain medication to stay in front of your pain before the block wears off. Which I did. I took the medication just for the first day and did not need it after that. But everyone is different take it when you need it, just be careful of that stuff. The first three days I felt were the worst for me. Not to much pain for me but getting comfortable and no shower was. My biggest issue was the sling and getting comfortable while sleeping. I had my left shoulder worked on and I'm right handed so that was a plus. I tried sleeping in the recliner but did not work for me. I made my bed into a big cocoon with pillows with help from the wife, my arm was prop up on pillows. Yes keep that sling on. That went on for me for six weeks. Just listen to your doctor and do your physical therapy! You will be fine. Don't rush it recovery will take time. Recover depends on the severity of the injury and how fast you heal but your looking any where from three months to a year. Going back to work depends on what you do for a living. If your in an office setting you will be back sooner then if your job requires physical labor. Good luck I hope this helped.

• Posted

thanks JGerb. Good info. My main concern is my right hand had basil joint surgery 2 months ago and thumb is still not great but rest of the hand is ok. this should be interesting.

• Posted

follow your surgeons instructions and immediate post op. is quite bearable. i had debridement and decompression done 18 months ago. recovery was 6-8 weeks and i was very careful with my arm for about a year, as i had had soooo much pain! but after following the physio plan i had full movement in 3 months and am pain free for the first time in years! good luck x

• Posted

expect your arm to be in a sling for a couple of months. you may need to sleep with a pillow or cushion underneath it and lay flat on your back .

when I had my ACJ operation. I was unable to lift my arm above shoulder height for at least 2 month's. Bathing might be a problem and I suggest you have someone who can help, if not try to use a shower. Physiotherapy will help with ROM gradually, take pain medication.

holding a jar or turning off a tap will be challenging for a few days. Also can be painful putting on clothes and wearing a bra etc.

good luck with the arthroscopic surgery and try not to rush yourself back to good recovery and hope it's a speedy healing process for you.

• Posted

thanks Sneeks. I have always heard that shoulder surgery is the most painful. getting ready yo head to the hospital.

• Posted

The block lasted 20 or so hours. Pain today at upper arm, lower shoulder. not terrible, time will tell. I think first few days will be uncomfortable or worse. Only taken pain meds, 2x's, first one too early as I thought the block was starting to wear off, one this AM at 6:30, Maybe take 2 later as rx says I can. As much as I hate blocks and a dead arm it was a blessing. Slowly do a few exercises today with my coach. My wife will guide me and watch me.

thanks for all of your support.

• Posted

Hi just checking here to see how you are doing now that it has been over a week? I am having shoulder decompression and shaved bone spur (hoping they find no tears) in a month. Was wondering how long you felt the pain for, if you are still in a sling and overall how things are going? When did you start PT? Hope you are recovering quickly and feel good!

Yes I am anxious about the surgery!

• Posted

nancy, only used the sling for 2 days, pain killers one day and could have avoided that. it does hurt and cold weather goes right through it but it is not terrible. i had 2 or 3 spurs,so an easy surgery. good ROM, exercises 3-4 times a day. no pt,all on docs orders. will see him Tuesday.

thanks foe checking.

• Posted

Wow that is fantastic! I hope I have it as easy as you have. great news for you, glad to hear it has been pretty easy for you. You didn't have impingement syndrome as well?

• Posted

I think I was lucky. It was gotten before it could do any other damage. I have found now that shoulder surgery is not easy, and I am lucky because it could have been worse the longer I waited.

good luck on your surgery nancy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.