Shoulder still frozen 4 months after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a frozen shoulder on the right side in 2014 and 2 MUA's and a SAD later, ROM finally returned.Following surgery, I had 8 weeks of physio and returned to work. In November 2016, I noticed the same symptoms of a frozen shoulder appearing in my left shoulder. Months of pain and sleepless nights followed and in September 2017 I had a SAD and capsular release operation. I began physio a couple of weeks later to try and get the movement back and this has improved slightly. Four months on, I have just started some muscle building exercises but my shoulder burns and the movement is extremely slow. My physio said today that she thinks that my shoulder is still a little frozen. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome? I dread the thought of having more surgery as I have already had 4 months off work.   

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh u poor thing I know it's not nice but heRing from people going through the same nightmare helps you get through it!! U may call me I'm in the U.K. In hornchurch tel 07939. 612243 look forward to hearing from you.  Because of all these sleepless nights of pain I'm now suffering from insomnia !!!!!

• Posted

Hi Lorstan, thank you for replying.

What stage are you at with your FS? It sounds as if you are in the freezing stage because you are not sleeping. It's nice to know that others like us are on here to give advice and share their stories.

• Posted

Nicole. I have had frozen shoulder in both shoulders at the same time so sleeping was the worst. I had to be propped up on the couch all surrounded by pillows. I started to get a weekly massage and it helped so much with the pain right away and now I have almost all mobility back in one shoulder. I am only getting massage once every 6 weeks now just to relax the muscles. I suggest trying massage before more surgery. Relaxation really helps. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Lisa, sounds like you have been through hell. You cannot describe to anyone how debilitating this condition is, it really drags you down. My right shoulder is more or less back to normal now, it's the left shoulder that is still causing me pain. The progress, despite physio in the hospital gym, is extremely slow and painful.

Massage sounds as if it's working for you, I might look into it. 

Thanks.

• Posted

Hello Massage definitely helps ease some of the pain. I have also had the opportunity to use a shiatzu massage cushion that I can use at home regularly and this has given a lot of relief.

I use pillows around me so i have support for my arm and have tried asda cheap brand of nitol and i slept for 10hrs!!!! If we are constantly have broken sleep then this becomes our sleep pattern so I use one or 2 tablets occasionally for the past 3 weeks and im now able to sleep 7 hrs on the nights i dont take the tablet.

Hang in there and stay strong x

• Posted

Thanks Bailey.

Following surgery 4 months ago, I find I can now sleep at night (obviously not on the operated side). My problem is that movement is so slow despite 4 months of physio. My physio thinks that there is still part of the shoulder that is frozen.

Hope you find some comfort for your shoulder.

• Posted

I don't know wjat to do I saw consultant today frozen s got worse and pain consultant said I can't have a steroid injection as I'm allergic to prednisalone and offered manipulation under anaesthetic and said we will have to discuss pain relief as the pain will be worse when I wake up ! I asked if he does hydrolation thing ( water in capsule before trying to move it, he said he didnt, is this better than the MUA ? ,, what shall I do ?

• Posted

Nicole what does SAD and ROM mean ? I know MUA (manipulation under anaesthesia).

Thanks

• Posted

So sorry to hear that your pain has worsened. SAD means Sub Acromial Decompression, it's the operation that many people with FS have. ROM is just short for Range Of Movement.

I had two MUA's on my right shoulder and then ended up having surgery. Your arm will be in a sling when you wake up, this is because they put a pain block in. It will be painful and inflamed for a while.

Hope everything goes well for you.  

Nicole 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.