Shoulder still useless after 3 procedures

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, not sure what to ask on here but hopeful to get some replies on what I should do next.

Background; I am a dance teacher who has had problems with both my shoulders. Right one was sorted with steroids but my Left one has had in this order over the last six months: Steroids, Barbotage, Sub Ac Decompression (open surgery), Barbotage and STILL its not good.

I have a constant gnawing pain in my bicep that sometimes goes into spasm, I cannot raise my arm above shoulder level, I cannot take my arm behind my back and cannot lie on it either.

I am totally at a loss at what can now be done. I need full use of my arm for my work.

Any advice anyone? Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hello:

I'd like to know what the professionals told you. What did your orthopedic surgeon tell you after the failed attempt to repair your shoulder?

Also, as a patient, it seems you have a right to choose another surgeon. If I were you I would get the best Sports Medicine Orthopedic available. Considering your livelihood depends upon your fitness it would be the wisest choice.

I'm against the use of steroid...all they seem to do is alleviate pain but in the long run can weaken/damage tendons leaving you open to future tears, damage and disasters.

Personally speaking, I had a bicycle accident and loss the use of my left arm like you couldn't raise it at all. I knew something was seriously wrong and had the mri, surgery and it was repaired. And I'm very active and athletic and happy that I have full function again.

Since then, and after another surgery for rotator cuff damage on my other shoulder, I've learned about this:

"Superior capsule reconstruction (SCR) is a procedure that is used in the treatment of irreparable rotator cuff tears. The procedure was first described in 2013 by Dr. Teruhisa Mihata from Japan. Patch grafting has a long history of being used to "bridge gaps" in irreparable rotator cuff tears.Jul 11, 2017"

The Japanese surgeon, Teruhisa Mihata is the founder of this procedure - SUPERIOR CAPSULE RECONSTRUCTION - SCR. ALL surgeons in the USA are aware of this procedure and many of them are able to do it. It may be what you need. Google this. It seems to be a miracle procedure in that it can be done multiple times, restores full function and strength with even greater success and durability than many other procedures previously utilized.

Let us know how you are doing and nothing but the best of luck.

• Edited

hi MissSEW

i see mike got in early. thanks for the comments on mine mike.

if its the shoulder that has been operated on. if it has been immobile for a while. could you have adhesive capsulitis ( frozen shoulder ).

thats how all my wows originated from. that problem has the following.

lack of movement behind your back.

cannot raise your arm up to stretch the capsule.

my very first symptom was the bicep tendon went in to spasm and was solid, we named that spasm after my physio ( called the Gemma lump ).

could not reach dash on car out stretched .

and lightning bolt of a zingger that lasted 20-30 seconds.

coupled with that dull ache. and all of our nemesis lack of sleep due to movement.

have you looked into this MissSEW. ho come on whats your name. problem with frozen is time a long time. i by passed it with hydro dilation jab.

my be worth looking into it if its just started for no reason. as thats what frozen shoulder does to you.

colin

by the way mike sports injury clinic opened up. my neck and shoulders are solid. just in time to start over again.

• Posted

Hi Mike1997,

Thank you for your response.

I forgot to state that the original diagnosis was calcific tendonitis hence the first barbotage even though there was a largish spur/hook on X-Ray and MRI.

The barbotage didn't work very well as they broke away M&M size pieces but were unable to aspirate them out so they were left floating about for my body to absorb.

Also, the barbotage didn't work probably because it wouldn't due to the spur being present so the surgeon (a Professor in orthopedics whose speciality is shoulders) told me prior to the op that it was going be keyhole but as he couldn't get the spur and all the remaining calcium deposits easily he did a mini open. Which was fine by me if it had worked.

For around 2-4 weeks I had little pain or discomfort and had quite good range with physio every week and them bam it started with gnawing pain in my bicep and the range of movement was back to being limited.

So back to the Prof. who talked about a nerve block but wanted to do another X-Ray just to check the shoulder and it showed a couple of calcium deposits in the AC joint... I'm not sure if they were new ones or previous ones that had been missed as he told me it was impossible to remove them all?

So, had the last barbotage procedure early March and they did break them down and managed to aspirate them this time. Again, all good for about 4 weeks and this gnawing pain and spasming is happening.

This time the shoulder has had time to rest due to the COVID situation so I was expecting a full or say 95% range of movement but its just too painful and the shoulder won't go there.

I'm having a telephone consultation this morning and would like to put forward what you've said regarding the SCR but Doctors/Surgeons over here in the UK don't like to be told anything! so I think I'll just be fobbed off... I'll let you know.

• Posted

Thanks Colin for your reply. Just waiting for a telephone consultation so will post back on here with the findings. Sharon

• Posted

I may be too late to this thread but I'll ask anyway. Mike1977 it sounds like you learned of SCR after your surgery. I am familiar with it and his has been both recommended and NOT recommended for me. So I am looking for info on the patient satisfaction of this procedure. Also if anyone is familiar with trapezius tendon transfer, which is even newer than SCR, please share!

Thanks a lot!

Nikita024

• Posted

hi my reply went to mike not you. please read

colin

• Edited

hi there, sorry to hear your problem. i have had 4 surgeries on my right shoulder so far. Supratanus was repaired. i always had a pain on my bicep but surgeon said it looks okay but never got better. and i went to another surgeon who recommended me to have bicep tenodesis or tenatomy as the Bicep tendon was inflamed and needed to take out from the joint. i chose Tenodesis just because i am 32 and i want the shape. this is my 5 months post of and i feel much better. recovery has been slow as this is 4th surgeries (hopefully it is last ). so, i suspect you have a problem with your Bicep tendon which has been an issue. have another opinion. good luck !!!

• Edited

@Hems06 I just had bicep tendonesis 4 weeks ago and have decent ROM but the pain is still pretty bad. It wasn't bad till I started PT. Nothing seems to help it. How long did it take to feel much better?

MissSew I cannot add to what everyone else said but hope to hear what you hear back from your doctor. I hope whatever is going on can be fixed without more surgery. Sounds like you have gone through a lot already.

• Edited

Hi,

Thanks for your comment and the detail you have given.

When i had the last Barbotage they checked the whole of the bicep tendon under ultrasound and he said it was all ok.

Since my first post on this group I've just yesterday been referred back to the orthopedic team so it could transpire I get another opinion which I believe could be best option for me now. Whilst I'm waiting for that appt to come through I'm going for another X-ray to see if the calcific tendonitis has returned or in fact once again, wasn't all taken away...I've been told they can never get it all anyway arghh!

• Edited

@nancy1962 hi there. after 8 to 10 weeks i started to feel a lot better than previous surgeries. and now i can see some hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.