Shoulder surgery vs physical therapy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am very happy to have found this community as I am in the middle of a difficult decision and would love some feedback.

I injured my left shoulder back in January 2022. In February, I got a cortisone shot which helped but the pain returned by around May/June so I started physical therapy in July.

I am still in pain so recently got an MRI which showed the following:

“Infraspinatus tendinosis with likely interstitial tear involving the proximal and mid fibers, with mild edema of the infraspinatus myotendinous

junction”

My ortho has recommended arthroscopic shoulder surgery to repair the shoulder. He says since it has been over 6 months and I have tried other methods (painkillers, cortisone shot, PT), he feels surgery is the best option. I am in my 30s so he feels like I should recover well and benefit from many years of a healthy surgery.

I have never had any type of surgery before (except wisdom teeth removal!) so have been feeling a bit anxious. I went for a 2nd opinion just for peace of mind. This new orthopedic surgeon said he would recommend one more cortisone shot and a couple more months of PT before the surgery in hopes it heals on its own. He said if it isn’t healed after that, then move ahead with surgery.

I am not sure what direction to go in. Currently, I can lift my arm above my head although it is sore. It is painful when reaching to the side (ex: grabbing a drink from a table to the left of me) and also very painful when reaching behind (ex: putting on a jacket). It also feels as though my shoulder blade is swollen as when I’m sitting, it feels like there is almost a lump in my shoulder blade area. It is also difficult for me to sleep on my left side. Sometimes I accidentally wake myself up if I roll over. However, I can do normal activties although I probably couldn’t play golf or throw a frisbee with my left hand anytime soon 😃

Like I mentioned, I’ve never had surgery so am very nervous about both the procedure and recovery. I do not want to risk making my shoulder any worse. Making it worse is definitely my #1 fear in terms of surgery.

I feel very fortunate that my shoulder isn’t bad enough where all doctors are suggesting surgery but I also am feeling very stressed making this decision. Of course if I could avoid surgery altogether that would be my preference but the thought of going through another cortisone shot and more PT just to possibly need surgery in a few months also isn’t ideal.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Any advice would be so appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi jessica

glad to see you here. yes its a rock and a hard place. shoulders hey who wants them.

tendonosis. decay of the tendon. not good " sorry"

ya never know until they go wrong. and when they do. dont they blooming hurt.

been there 3 times now under the knife. each time more drastic.

had the same dilemma this year. had really bad frozen shoulder. had the capsule removed and sub acromium decompression done. then had the tendon fail ( mine was long head bicep).

the million dollar question. can you put up with the ache and it may get better. na lol.

with me i threw the kitchen sink at my problem. it got me down.

i opted for the knife. i was guided by my orthopaedic consultant. and surgeon. i paid myself as i could not wait . the ache got to me in my job.

does it hurt. no

i have had 7 arthroscopic holes in 2 operations. pain from them zero. bruising from them negligible. i am so happy from them.

he had to cut me on the last time to re do the tendon. that bruised on its own. and a 100mm scar to add.

the hardest thing to get your head around is post operation. immobilised and post care. its hard and brutal BUT. to be out of ache is priceless. we all know that dont we piper. barb and looby.

i invested in being the most comfortable post op. the best immobiliser. bed triangle. physio. ice machine.

if you have to go through this. research research research. learn your condition. get to know it. then you can be better than it.

as my physio said shoulder are the most complicated things on the body. you compromise stability in the shoulder for movement. and can lead to other referred problems

just bear in mind it can get complicated post op. and its a bugger post op in physio. be dedicated and positive in the recovery if you chose this route

me now i am going back to work monday. 17 weeks post operation. and yes i am worried. just be mentally prepared for a long recovery. i mean long. its mental and hard. prep is the key

dont be afraid to interrogate the surgeon. why- how- when- and - and

Barbara my add to this. she has been through the same. ( hi barb) how is it going across the pond.

any questions i can answer i am here if needed. but its only a personal opinion after three operations on the shoulders.

but on the whole scheme of things once you have the inter scalene nerve block and go to sleep. i was never in post op pain. so cool

colin

• Edited

ho by the way what you have if it was scrabble. what a word score . winner hands down.

after all i have been through still have a sense of humour lol.

colin

• Posted

sorry another reply

have you tried supplements to help you try and recover.

reading your post i think you are weary of an operation.

post tendon operation ( not knowing where you are) i went to a health food store " H&B ". i take a supplement for the aid of tendon health.

hyaluronic acid and collagen are whats needed. did it work dont know but i am better.

then one that has all in it to help was H&B . expert. timeless high strength for skin.

every idea may help. it may give your tendon that little help to heal ?.

thats what this site is here for share ideas and experiences. come on barb any ideas from your end.

colin

• Posted

hi jessica

alternatives that i researched for tendon damage. that you could enquire about. i was going to have these but chose the knife as i was in too much pain. and could not wait any longer.

extra corporeal shockwave treatment. its a super charged ultra sound. aimed at problem areas.

hyaluronic acid injections into the tendon sheath. this stimulates new tendon growth / repair.

both non evasive . always worth a question to the ortho .

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.