Shouldn't I be concerned?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 25 yr old male. Yesterday at the doctor's office, I got readings of 148 and 160. The doctor said it might have been caused by a stomach virus I had last week (I still have a little gas in my stomach). He told me not to worry about the blood pressure. This morning I had readings of 135 (pre breakfast) and 136 (after 1.5 of speed walking). I didn't have much of an appetite for lunch and only ate less than half of what I usually eat. I haven't had a good appetite for nearly a week. I woke up this morning feeling cold and tense in my muscles. After lunch, I decided to take a nap. I woke up feeling better, but my blood pressure was in the 150s. I am borderline between overweight and obese (5 ft 10. 197 lbs). Shouldn't I be concerned about my blood pressure or just not worry like the doctor said?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just lost 20 lbs over a period of 4 months and had to cut BP medicines in half, now 120 over 66

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Well done, Jo! It's surprising how little weight loss it can take to bring down BP. I brought mine down from 150/90 to 120/80 by losing only 7lbs (and keeping it off, obviously). In fact, that only brought my BMI down to 26, so I was still in the overweight bracket, but it still worked, though I think taking a magnesium supplement played its part too. I stayed at the same weight and the same BP for 15 years after that.

It was only when I turned 70 that I started getting the curse of old age, isolated systolic hypertension - i.e. systolic slightly raised/diastolic in my boots. That's considered a very bad sign these days, indicative of atherosclerosis. I immediately made the effort to lose another 11lb and have kept it off for the past two years, bringing my BMI to 24, but it hasn't made a jot of difference. I've tried upping the dose of magnesium but that only lowers both values slightly, so I'm still left with a whopping difference between values (known as pulse pressure). Fortunately, my doctor isn't pushing medication, as he says that will also bring down both values. This wouldn't be good, as I'm walking around with a diastolic in the low 50s some days as it is (but systolic around 135).

I'm working on the atherosclerosis now, but as I'm doing most of the recommended thing already there's not a lot more I can do. My diet is fine, HDL/LDL cholesterol ratio exceptionally good, lifelong non-smoker, exercise regularly, blood glucose good. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and cut down further on my wine intake, as that's the only "vice" I have left! Sigh...

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I am now committed to changing lifestyles as well as losing weight. I have noticed large flucuations in my systolic readings.

Pre-Breakfast (20 min after waking up) ~ mid 140s-150

1 hr after 1.5 hr of speed walk ~ mid 130s- low 140s

1 hr after lunch ~ 150s

5 pm ~ mid 160s

20 min after 45 min of speed walk ~ 150s

Pre-bed ~ 150s

My BP flucuates from mid 140 to mid 160 throughout the day. I notice my BP is highest when it is the warmest in the house. I turned on a fan to cool off and my BP decreases. I read that BP is supposed to higher when you're cold. Also, I notice that my BP decreases after everytime I exercise. Are BP flucuations supposed to be this big throughout the day? My diastolic readings are between 85-95 throughout the day.

• Posted

Leep6. It doesn't happen overnight but it will happen if you keep up the exercises and diet ( no salt) are u on medication? Any sort of medication. If not, then to get your BP down to normal, you have a fair bit of weight to loose and dieting over a period of time before u see a radical change. Hope u are eating foods that lower your BP like raw oats, chia and quinoa and many more. My BP still fluctuates between 120 to 140 and 70 to 80 but before I started all this diet and exercise it was 140 to 170. So stick with it every day and u will start to see an improvement.... Also u will feel good. I feel great now that I'm taking care of myself and have lost a little weight. Oh u must get that heart pumping so run up a few flights of stairs twice a day. Then exercise. Good on u for recognizing that I need to change your lifestyle.....
    • Posted

How old are u if u don't mind me asking.

Also at night sometimes the BP can spike as they call it which means increase. That's when the breathing exercises come in handy and it works.deep slow breathing from the tummy, hold and let out of the mouth. Do it 8 times or ten.... Your BP should drop.

• Posted

Thank you for your suggestions. I am actually 25. I'm also not on any medication.
    • Posted

If your body is washed out from your recent illness you may need a nutritiondrink supplement. Also I think you need the smallest dose or half dose of medicine until these lifestyle changes kick in

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.