Showering after surgey

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I am now 5 days after surgery and although I have sponge bathed I am in dire need of a shower.

​I have steri strips on the 3 incisions and a guaze pad on the 4th, do I allow them to get wet?

Will I be ok alone in the shower?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi cara00204   i had abdominal hystrectomy nearly 4 weeks ago ive had dissolveable stiches but because my stomach has been sliced wide open i cannot have a bath for 6 weeks and i feel proper minging i too like you have washes with a sponge and things but its deffinetly not the same but with you having them strips i wouldnt recomend you have a bath whie they are on you 
    • Posted

I was told mp bath or pool for 6 weeks, but what about a shower?
  • Posted

I had a shower the 3rd day after my op in the hospital just before I came home but my 3 small incisions were glued and no dressings, You had better ask the hospital first, though I expect someone on here will be able to help, I was left alone in the shower though there were all manner of hand rails, so if you don't have hand rails I would at least make sure someone is in the house with you.

• Posted

It's better if you could avoid bathing for atleast two-week...

• Posted

WHAT

The nurse said i could shower, I am just nervous

• Posted

I took my steri strips off after a week. My Gynecologist called and told me that was okay because those weren't the only things holding the incisions closed. Also, they said I could shower normally just try to keep your back to the shower head. My surgery was on a Thursday and I waited until Saturday to shower and I did not want to get out!

• Posted

Ok my surgery was Tuesday so i think i am good!!!

Thank you, that makes me feel much better

• Posted

I think people here are getting mixed up with a bath and a shower. Of course you can shower but no you can't sit in a bath. Didn't the hospital have you in the shower before discharge? Plus don't remove things like steri-strips unless you've been instructed to do so. They can get wet & dry again real fast. They are there for good reason. The gauze is covering what? Was there a drain in there? And yes you can shower yourself. You don't need somebody there.

• Posted

I showered!!!!!  I left the seri strips alone as I was instructed.  The guaze is on because i had once incision that bled when i was in the hospital so thats what they put on it so i changed it after the shower.  No they didnt make me shower at the hospital but i was told no bath no pool and in Florida that sucks
    • Posted

Yay! Don't you feel so much better? I wanted to stay in there for an hour the first time I took one!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.