Showers or baths after a cystocele operation?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wasn't given any advice about baths or showers from the hospital. Is one preferable to another? Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It will depend on the type of stitches used. I was told to shower for the first week then I could have a bath but not too hot or too long!

If you are not sure it’s probably best to shower until you have your post op check up. 

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post op and have been having showers. I had my check up on weds and asked if i can have a bath they said yes but no products and dont stay in too long. Also make sure bath is clean so dont roll around in mud then bath in it lol xx
  • Posted

Definitely no baths love. You are bathing in your own germs. Showers and no soap near vagina.it can cause irritation. Be there lovex
  • Posted

Also.....no products obviously, my surgeon said “if you want to spoil yourself light a candle but no bubble bath”  x 
  • Posted

Definately no baths. I wouldn't have one till given all clear at post-op. You've got very deep sutures which bugs love to track up, given the chance. Barely any top Surgeons would allow baths. Do you really want germs off anus being given the chance to migrate into soggy vag. When you've got stitches, advice has always been to keep area as dry as possible to avoid chances of infection. If you get an infection up in operated area there is a huge chance your repair will fail. 

• Posted

Hi Tricia. My surgeon advised avoiding baths. He said with the water and soaking it create a moist environment encouraging the. Risk of bacteria and infection. I think a lot say six weeks but I waited 12. Wish I g you a good recovery 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.