Shringrix vaccine and every side effect

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first dose of Shingrix yesterday and I have pretty much every single side effect. Pain in arm, red spot, chills, body aches, a bit of a headache, a little nauseous. No fever although it sure feels like I do. I have been taking Advil every 4 hours today but it doesn't help with the pain or the aches. Can anyone else recommend another pain reliever that might work better?

Thanks!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi sandi149

I've found that using ADVIL along with TYLENOL EXTRA STRENGTH OR MOTRIN helps with the headaches and the achy feeling. I'm 1-yr from bring diagnosed and on the advice of my PCP 6-mos out with NO MORE P-H-N and no more side effects of the shingles, My doctor administered me a dose of the shingles vaccine also. I guess I was lucky cause I had virtually very mild side effects from the vaccine. Mine was mild to mildly severe.

Eg:. SORENESS AT INJECTION SITE, MILD HEADACHE, MILD BODY ACHING, & SOME CHILLS ACCOMPANIED WITH A MILD FEVER ELEVATION for the 1st three days then by the 4th day I felt nothing at all......

I'd just like to add that I hope you find the information on this site very helpful as well as useful to you. But never let the advice of people deter you from seeing a "Licensed MEDICAL DOCTOR"! HE/SHE is licensed and can rule out any/all symptoms uou may have and can administer the best meds for your particular pain. "REMEMBER BE MINDFUL THAT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT"!

So look i hope for you the very best in your life and hope that you overcome this dreadful disease....Best Wishes in your journey.

• Posted

Hi Sandi!

I would suggest alternating Advil with Extra Strength Tylenol. My symptoms were more severe than the typical Flu Vaccine, similar to the Typhoid vaccine, but never could be compared to a shingles episode, which I had been getting every 3 weeks in my right ear, mouth, and throat and scalp for the past 22 years.

It has been almost 8 weeks since my first vaccine, and I had one exceptionally mild episode on my right scalp, instead of three severe incapacitating episodes.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I had my 1st dose of the new vaccine Shingrix in June and 2nd dose in September of 2018. During the 1st dose I had symptoms as you the first day and finally tapered off by the 3rd day, with a sore arm for a couple days more. In the 2nd dose I had a mild sore arm for a couple days and that was it. I am glad I took the Shingrix vaccine.

• Posted

Hector,

I am glad you got the second vaccine of Shingrex with just the sore arm.

I am hoping Shingles is one disease that is wiped off the map!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am going to take the tylenol along with the Advil. I can actually deal with these symptoms a whole lot more than the actual shingles that I had in March. What a nightmare that was. I guess this vaccination is a very powerful one. The doctor had told me that some people get the effects with the first or the 2nd or none or both. It all depends on the person. Hopefully when I take my 2nd shot, this won't happen.

Anyway, thanks again!

Sandi

• Posted

I had the same reaction, except for the red spots, after my second shot. My first was just a severely sore arm

• Posted

I had the same reaction, except for the red spots, after my second shot. My first was just a severely sore arm

• Posted

Well hopefully I won't have any reaction after my 2nd dose. Although I feel much better today except for the sore arm which I imagine takes several days to go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.