Shrink large cyst in liver

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anybody out there on this forum help me . I have a very large cyst in my liver that measure 18cm. I do want surgery does anyone know how to shrink them or minimise them. Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had just such a cyst. It was successfully drained by a laparoscopy. I don't think there is any way that you can shrink them without intervention of this type. Good luck!

• Posted

Did everything go ok and did you have to get your gallbladder remove. I am so afraid that my liver would bleed and wouldnt stop bleeding because the liver is one of bloodiest organ and to uproot a cyst from it it's very scary

• Posted

My cyst was about the same size as yours. It contained over 3 litres of fluid and would have weighed about 3 kilos. I can honestly say that the surgery went without a hitch and gave me no problems at all. The cyst didn't impinge on my bile duct or gall bladder, so these were left fully intact. The liver did not bleed as far as I know and, if it did, it gave me no problems. The cyst was not cut out as such - a hole was made into the side of the cyst from which the fluid was drained. The deflated cyst was left in situ with a hole in it, so that any further fluid would drain into my abdominal cavity and be absorbed. I was told that the liver would regenerate and this would mean that the empty cyst would get smaller. A biopsy was done on the cyst lining and this proved to be completely normal with no sign of malignancy (such things are very, very rare). There is a very small chance that the cyst will reform, but so far there are no signs of this.

The procedure has really turned my life around. Before it was carried out I had constant back pain and could only walk a short distance and stand for less than 3 or 4 minutes. Now I'm almost back to my normal fit and active self with only minor discomfort caused, I think, by permanent nerve damage caused by the pressure of the cyst on the spine. So, based on my experience, it is well worth having this surgery done. Without it, the cyst will only get worse. 

I hope that this is helpful.

• Posted

Yes, that was very helpful, and thank you much for your quick reply. By the way did the surgeon have to remove your gallbladder. My gallbladder is fine but the surgeon said with laparoscopic surgery and cyst he would remove my gallbladder, I am hearing some horrible scary stories about vomiting and dirreah and not being able to eat on this forum. I am able to eat a healthy meal however, all the stories about gallbladder problems is heart breaking. My heart go out to them all. It is awful that doctors would continue to put illness or condition secondary, and continue to have one suffer like the pain I am reading. This forum is very informative and helps a lot more so than the drs tells you.
    • Posted

No, my gall bladder was not removed. There was nothing wrong with it. I never suffered from sickness as a result of the cyst. However, it was pressing on my stomach and pushing it out of place. Now that the cyst has gone my stomach is fine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.