SI joint pain!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last month I hurt my right SI joint while doing a vigorous exercise I never did before. I went to see my GP and had an X-ray which was all clear. I am at a loss at what to do. For the last ten days I have been using KT tape on it and trying to stretch the area. Can anyone please give me proper guidance on what I should do?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ask for a referral to a pain management doctor. He/she can do a steroid injection into that area. Hopefully that will help reduce the inflammation and pain. Or you could try a steroid pack. They are taken orally and usually for a week. Your family doctor can prescribe it for you.

• Posted

My GP prescribed Melfen 400mg earlier in the month. I didn't stay on them for long i must admit.

• Posted

That's not a drug I had ever heard of so I looked it up. All it is is ibuprofen and it's only 400 mg. frankly I've heard doctors prescribe twice that much for less pain. it's a good drug for inflammation and you could get some pain relief assuming the pain is not very bad but what it's doing to your stomach you probably will come to regret. So it's probably a good thing that you stopped it at least in my own opinion. I think you ought to ask your doctor for a prescription for prednisone. it is a very good anti-inflammatory much better than Ibuprofen or anything you could get over the counter. it does have the potential of doing some damage to your body but typically that's only on long-term usage. That's why I suggested you ask for a prednisone pack. Those generally last I think 7 to 10 days. And the way they work is you take your largest dose on the first day. And the way they work is you take your largest dose on the first day then every day following you reduce the number of pills you take. So by the last day you only take one pill. frankly I don't think your GP is a doctor to see for this problem. I don't know what country you live in but if you do live in the US let me know and I'll give you some heads up about how things are around the US as it relates to chronic pain. If you're not from the US then I cannot describe what other countries are doing about chronic pain. My suggestion is to try to do whatever you can to keep it from becoming a chronic pain. a chronic pain is described as a pain lasting more than 3 months. at this point you are at the acute pain stage which obviously is pain that has lasted less than 3 months.

• Posted

I did buy today a thermoskin lower back stabilizer in the pharmacy. Hopefully that will give some help. With the Melfin I am also taking Pantoprazole as prescribed by my GP. I will see how I get on for the next few days.

• Posted

I live in Ireland by the way. Anyway I am going to see my GP tomorrow for a follow up appointment. Hopefully he will give me further guidance and treatment.

• Posted

I think an x ray will only show bone damage you maybe need some sort of ultrasound that will show ligaments. Ask for a referral to a physiotherapist

or if you can afford it refer yourself or to an osteopath they will also be able to guide you on exercise

• Posted

it is never a good idea to wear a back brace for very long. The reason is because your muscles become weaker and when you take it off Sunday to support the bones . However an SI joint belt works differently. you can find an SI joint belt online just Google it you'll find a few companies that sell to most countries. I think I bought mine from Australia and I live in the US.

• Posted

I don't wear my lower back strap all day. I wear it for a few hours in the morning and in the evening. My GP has referred me on for physiotherapy. This will be taking place in a few weeks.

• Posted

I hope physical therapy helps for you. Please keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.