Siactic Nerve from butt to feet

Posted , 8 users are following.

My Dr. is giving me Gabapentin starting at one a day (300 mg) to now 3 a day.  Not much pain relief....has anyone on here had this pain and how long did it take to get relief and how much dosage?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I took gabapentin for fibromyalgia.   The side effects are so much worse than the benefits.  I wish I never had taken one of those pills.  I’ve just weaned off of them.  Read up and think hard before you start.  

Good luck. 

• Posted

James Gaba is like opening the door to all sorts of very bad side effects, and not any real relief from the pain, and a long and horrible withdrawal 

I wished many times I had just taken a strong OTC pain reliever 

• Posted

Be very careful, it also messes you brain up
  • Posted

Be very careful with this med.  side effects not good.  Withdrawals worse.  Make sure when you come off this med it is done VERY slowly. I was pretty lucky considering what I was reading. Do a lot of reading up with this medicine.  
  • Posted

Mine was for severe back pain with trapped nerve,when the bones move. which periodically happens since a fall when I was a small child.

Please read up on here from those who..like me.. Have had horrid side effects whilst taking them.

Me???I'd sooner suffer with the excruciating pain,rather than take these.....and my pain can make me pass out..

Be careful, do take only the minimum.They can work in the short term,but don't get addicted to them.

Good luck. Please read others experiences in here and don't get reliant on them

• Posted

I've been in 1800 mgs for 12 years and wish I never took this medication. I had the same thing your going thru last summer and gabapentin did not help with it at all. If I were you I would stop before you get dependent. I'm trying to wean myself off but it's a long road. I was addicted to opiates many many years ago and it wasb1000 easier getting off of those.

• Posted

Everyone of these replies are NO GOOD!  I'm surprised it's not 80%-20% in favor.  Why would my Dr. say to take these in the first place if it does not get good results?  For people where this does NOT work....what did you then try?

• Posted

Everyone is different.  Maybe this will help you. But it is a very dangerous medication and weaning off is really bad.  I am very thankful that it wasn’t bad for me but yes it wasn’t pleasant.  Just be careful and do your research.   
    • Posted

Have you seen a chiropractor.   It takes time but it helps tremendously. 
  • Posted

Most of us are concerned with trying to wean ourselves off. I do get a very low strength Vicodin but nothing really helps the pain I have. Pharmaceutical companies send there reps to Drs offices with brief case in hand. They are like car salesmen telling Drs they can prescribe them off label for pain but they were suppose to be for anxiety. Prescribing meds off label is illegal by the way but most patient's trust their doctor. I don't and never will again. Doctors don't have time to research all the meds so they trust these reps. I've said it before " we are the lab rats." Run! Don't walk from this medication. I'll just do what my dad and grandparents did. Learn to live with it. Gabapentin will steal your short term memory and your life. There is also a link to dementia

• Posted

Yes you get slurred speech coordination issues short term memory starts to go.  Weight gain.  Been off of it over a year and doing well.  But never again.   And I was on depakoe.  Never never again. Besides it did nothing for me.  These meds also changed me. I wasn’t me.  It was just horrible.  And the worse part was it didn’t work.   I also believe because nothing worked I was misdiagnosed. 
    • Posted

My Dr. is a VA Dr.  All my meds are the SAME price for me....regardless of cost outside.  My brothers girlfriend had a seisire and has been on Gabapentin for quite a few years.  Never heard her say a word about side effects.  Are you people saying it does NOT work....and that you had no ill effects while taking it?  But getting off the med made you sick?
    • Posted

James, I didn't recognize the side effects as side effects until I started getting off it. Was on it for 7 yrs,  memory loss was the only side effect I knew, which finally scared me enough to quit. Been off since Nov 15, 2017 and still have depression and memory loss and no energy. 

• Posted

I am saying it didn’t work for me and had side effects taking it and withdrawals when tapering off is not very pleasant.  
    • Posted

I was only on Gabapentin but it has done so much harm to my body and brain.  I also will never trust doctors. They make out on prescribing these nasty drugs to us and I agree with you they don't have the time to check out all the drugs they prescribe. Thanks and good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.