Sicca syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I’m new to forum but not to sicca syndrome 

was diagnosed in around 2007 by a rheumatologist told about dry eyes mouth other dry bits n bobs the crocodile tongue told it wouldn’t kill me ,there are eye drops and artificial saliva he would advise my GP to give me and sent on my merry way 

I have a great dentis now but didn’t quite set him soon enough I have lost most of my teeth due to the lack of saliva and bacteria pockets firming in my gums 

I also have a great eye consultant who looks after me ,the sad thing is these two professional people are the only 2 people I have seen who know and understand anything about it 

other than my eyes and my teeth do I need anything else looking after is there a big problem with my immune system 

im almost 65 years of age and very healthy so far and would like to stay that way if possible 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi pidgepoo,

I don't know too much about sicca. I believe its similar to Sjogrens in which the lack of lubrication may affect joints and other organs. Many with Sjogrens are put on additional treatment to prevent damage. Mu recommendation would be to follow up with a Rheumotologist he/she will be the best to advise you. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi 

thanks for getting back to me the rheumatologist when diagnosing me explained sicca as the irritating little sister which if you had to have one was the best one to have and that may arthritis is ostio not rheumatoid so seemed like good news if I had to have any 

so it’s just the immune system I question I will have a chat with my GP next tim I see him I think but will keep my eye on this forum 

• Posted

Hello Pidgepoo

Sorry that I'm not going to be helpful to you but I have a question for you that I would be grateful if you could answer.  I've had Sjogren's for over 47 years but it wasn't diagnosed till after the first 15 and like you I have had a lot of problems with teeth.  I think I have sent my dentist on several overseas trips!  I have lost several teeth and the rest are mostly crowns which often fall out or are so heavily filled that they break repeatedly and the fillings fall out.  I know my dentest does the best he can for me but each year I'm in a worse state.  I was wondering, if you have lost most of your teeth, how you are managing.  Feel free not to answer if this is too personal.

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.