Sick and tired of being drunk

Posted , 6 users are following.

215Hi I'm Ruby a forty five year old woman and a horrid drunk.  I have been an alcoholic for many years, and after much theropy, detox programmes,  and coming to terms with my addiction and understanding the shame, guilt,fear, surrounding this horrible , all encompassing nasty drug  that we here all share, I couldn't see a way out and so I took the step to start taking selincro.  I am on day 4 and drink an hour or so after I take the pill.  I knew there would be side affects, I have been a bit fuzzy and have felt sick with a lack of appetite.  I drank less on the first three nights, feeling fuzzy, unwell and not really enjoying it, but I understand that I have to go through this to gain extinction.  However, last night I drank more than I have in the last few days  and felt pleasure from the drink.(wine) Please can I have reassurance that this is normal on selincro? That.If i continue as instructed I will begin to see an end to this hell?

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruby!

Well done on making the decision to get well. I have been taking seminars since late April. In the beginning I was like you. Good at first, got over the side effects and then kept 'testing' the drug by drinking more than I should!! Don't worry after a while you will have to almost force yourself to finish a bottle!!

I have now reached the stage where I can take it or leave it. But after 40 years of heavy drinking it is very difficult to completely break the habit. Stick with selincro at least it will give you a choice.

• Posted

Lololol selincro!! Not seminars!! Dammed autocorrect!!
  • Posted

241Hi Michael

Thank you for the reassurance.  It's good to know there is someone out there who has been through this. I cannot wait to " take it or leave it " I tried selincro/seminar thing earlier this year, but couldn't cope with the side affects.  Now I have taken some time out to beat this bloody thing once and for all.  I have done my research on selincro, but still need reassurance that it gets better.  Thanks again

Ruby

• Posted

Try leaving it two hours after taking a pill before you drink, Ruby. We have had some of our clients do that and it has made a big difference. Also, be aware that it is only active in the body for 8 to 11 hours (consider it 8, to be on the safe side) so any drinks outside that window, you are not protected for.

That appears to be the crucial consideration which determines whether Selincro works for you or not.

The side effects will disappear totally after around 7 times of taking the drug.

• Posted

162Thanks Paul, I will try that.  I am/was a functioning, experienced alcoholic and have set times when I drink to fit in around my life. ( when I have to make a decision or change of direction, I need to fit/take into account  my drinking pattern -  MY FIX.) I realise this as an addict. I also know the devastating effect alcohol has on not only the individual concerned, but those who suffer and live with an alcoholic. It's interesting to know that selincro is active in the body for 8 to 11 hours. I will be monitoring this and probably putting further posts up.  Thanks again Paul I believe your posts and advice are really beneficial to me and my fellow addicts. Off now to get my fix......on selincro

Ruby

• Posted

Not sure ruby .  The first time I took it I was so worried about the side effects I took it with a glass of wine 😜 and it was no help . Felt so ill the next day I couldn't even get out of bed .  Second time I took it I thought nothing was happening , I was so disappointed I walked to the shop  to get bottle of wine number 2 , but got home and thought I don't want that poured the last glass of wine back into the bottle and just went to bed !! Very odd  I have no idea how it worked but it did. 

This is my third tablet tonight and I am just on the last glass of wine in the bottle , as yet the desire to stop has not kicked in yet .  I hope it will 😃

• Posted

187Hi Kathryn

I'm on day 6.  Most of the side affects (pretty sh*t over the first couple of days) have passed apart from a fuzzy head, but I am determined to carry on.  I think that it is a gradual extinction and will take time for some of us.  One thing I have noticed is that I am drinking slower? And seem to have a little more control?  Also the effects of the booze take over much quicker.  On a bottle of wine I would normally appear sober? but last night I felt drunk on one, so hopefully as I continue to take the selincro my tolerance will subside.  Keep trying my friend..... The alternative for me is not a happy future, losing my family, and my life.

• Posted

Keep trying Ruby and YOU CAN DO IT. You will then regain respect and admiration from your family and friends which is what happened to me 2 1/2 yrs ago and stopped completely and not looking back. Best of luck.
    • Posted

111Thanks Robin.  I really appreciate your support.  Did you try on selincro or did you just stop? 
    • Posted

Hi ruby , I have noticed the same thing, sat in the garden and just on the last glass of wine in the bottle, not good I know but I had my first glass nearly 3 hours ago and feel quite sober .  Still think I could drink a bit more , but the urgent need to drink quickly has gone . So 1 small step at a time .xx
    • Posted

I stopped stone cold 1st Jan 2013..new beginning and no medicine and never a drink since and very happy...
  • Posted

Hi. That's how I felt after my 4th time taking naltrexone(same thing) last Monday. And taking it how Paul advised and not how the Dr told me to! Not had a drink since then but will make sure I take it 2 hrs before so I don't go on a massive binge as I used to :-)
    • Posted

I don't think it's the wonder drug I hoped for , but I suppose every glass of less is better than nothing . X  its good to have other people who know what we are trying to do 😃

• Posted

My name is Kathryn , I don't think I am an alcoholic , because I don't drink every day and I don't get withdrawal symptoms , but I sure for hell know I have an alcohol problem .  And I am trying really hard to not say 

hi I am Kathryn and I am an alcoholic .

That is my goal , to tackle this problem before it gets beyond that . 

Just to put you in the picture , My dad , as much as it is very hard to say , is an alcoholic . Joined the navy at 17 and been drinking all his life . Now 78 and completely addicted to alcohol .  There is not much I can do to help him . But picking him up of the floor most days , and the worst thing , getting him in the shower when he could not control his bowls ! Need I say more I am sure you can guess . But that is our future . As people on this forum , we do have some control . And I know it's bloody hard . But do we want our kids or family to pick us up of the floor ! No we don't that is why we are making the effort x every day is a step forward  x

• Posted

245Oh Kathryn - yes - I don't get withdrawal symptons, but  I've just consumed one bottle of white wine on selincro?! My dad too is an alcoholic and was in the Royal Marines.  He encouraged his boys to drink........it makes you a man......forget your daughters who absorbed it all in as well!  I am an experienced alcoholic, I am educated, have high qualifications, but need to have a time everyday in the 24 hour period when I need to have my fix. That defines an addict. Kathryn I sh*t in the shower....I too am an alcoholic.I can afford selincro but after day 7 days I am doubting its abilities?  Will keep trying - Ruby.  Be strong my friend.......
    • Posted

u r strong and honest Kathryn. Great description of what you would NOT like to become and improvie now for your family..best of luck!!
    • Posted

I understand your reluctance to lumber yourself with a label, Kathryn, especially one with so many negative connotations.

I have worked with people wirth alcohol problems for over 25 years and I refuse to use the term 'alcoholic.'

As long as you recognise that you have an issue with driking and look for ways to solve it (for yourself, not for anyone else), there is no reason why you should accept any label.

• Posted

I knew what you ment Paul . And the connations of being an alcoholic is some one who can't get through a day without alcohol .  That is my perception , but I do know there are many people out there that are functioning alcoholics , and I may be one of them . But I can't and don't want people to think that of me I wish people thought I was really poorly 
    • Posted

You are, Kathryn. Alcohol addiction is a medical disorder and not a behaviour problem or life choice. It is unfortunate that society doesn't recognise this yet but, when it finally does, the awful treatment of people with this condition will be looked back on as a scandal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.