Sick for 3 months now after trip to Bali. PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I'm writing because I'm desperate for help and I don't know where else to go. I'm a 31 year old Caucasian female who was in perfect health prior to my visit to Bali. Going on 3 months now, I have had absolutely debilitating symptoms which have hindered my daily life. I have had to start working from home, I can't work out anymore or do things with friends and I'm absolutely miserable.

In late December, I went to Bali with a group of friends for New Years and while there I got really sick. I was vomiting and had diarrhea for 24 hours straight. I recovered for the most part, but 5 days later when I was about to fly back to the U.S. I began feeling very ill again and had diarrhea every 10 minutes, fever and chills and pain in my upper stomach for another 24 hours straight. I had to take imodium, because I had several very long flights. By the time I got back home, I passed out and slept pretty much all day for 3 days straight. From that point on, I have never been the same.

*While there we surfed in the ocean along the coast of Seminyak, and the water was very polluted. (which we didn't realize at first) At one point, water went up my nose.

*Also, even though I wore mosquito repellant and reapplied it constantly, I still managed to get a few mosquito bites.

After arriving back in the states, it started with stomach distress and severe headaches for about 4 days. The kind of headache that doesn't respond to medicine or an ice pack and had me bed ridden. Also severe acid reflux and indigestion. It was so bad, I finally went to my GP and he gave me the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin and did a bunch of tests.

He ran blood work, urine test, and stool tests for parasites and salmonella etc. All tests came back normal and I tested negative for Hepatitis, and Malaria as well. At that point, I decided to do a 10 day parasite cleanse to see if that would help and it didn't.

My symptoms began to shift and become worse...

My vision feels weird like it's pulling or something or like my vision got worse. I feel really out of it, almost out of reality and I get dizzy with movement. I tried going shopping with friends, and had to leave within an hour because I felt so dizzy and out of it. I also started to have severe lower back pain which I've never had before. Sometimes it doesn't respond to medicine or a heating pad either. I went to an eye doctor to check my eyes, and my prescription hadn't changed. (I have a light prescription) The doctor was stumped, so I went to another eye doctor and she found that my optic nerve is inflamed and recommended an MRI. 

Since then, I have seen:

-an infectious disease doctor (he was stumped as well)

-holistic doctor (checked my blood for parasites and didn't find any)

-gastroenterologist (tested me for hpylori and did additional stool test for parasites: both negative)

-two GP's

-neurologist (ordered an MRI with and without contrast) getting it done on Sunday

-Acupuncturist (I go twice a week now)

My DAILY symptoms for the past 3 months:

-Constant head pressure (like my head is being squeezed in the temples)

-Head pressure developing into headaches (usually by evening)

-Head feeling full (like there's air in the front of my face between my eyes)

-Vision changes (like my vision is distorted, especially in one eye)

- Brain fog and blankly staring at the wall

-Feeling out of it/ hard to concentrate

-Lower back pain 

-Acid reflux and indigestion

-Extreme fatigue

-A strange feeling under my skin all over my body, like I'm having an allergic reaction to something (feels like I want to crawl out of my skin)

Another thing I want to note is that I realize people may say this is probably anxiety, but about a month into this whole thing, I went back to my GP and asked to be put on the lowest dose of Zoloft for the anxiety that this whole illness was causing me. I was thinking that perhaps my anxiety (from the whole ordeal) was making my symptoms worse, and I wanted to take precaution by getting on medicine. Regardless, I have the exact same symptoms still with just a little less anxiety, so it seems I've ruled anxiety out.

If anyone has ANY information that could help me. PLEASE respond. I am desperate. I want to feel like my healthy self again and I can't live like this!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi jm. I feel you probably picked up something from there. As to what i don't know. Unfortunately most Drs. in U.S. don't know much about parasites etc. (including Infectious Disease M.D.s) If i were you i would go onto your pc and start googling what types of parasites are endemic to Bali then compare your symptoms. I have been to about 15 drs for my issues and NOT ONE has helped me. I have been cleansing for yrs and basically eat minimal meat, no gluten or sugar. It has been a journey for me although i feel better but def. still have em. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.