Sick Leave

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had my TKR just over 5 weeks ago and have been on leave since then. There was a 2 week section in the middle when I was on "holidays" but nonetheless I have not returned to work since the operation. I have to say that I still at this stage feel totally incapable of working at my job - at a computer - I am always feeling the need to change positions ie from up to down, and from down to up, which I cannot do once I return to work. Also, by the time I complete the required exercising, walking, icing, physio appointments and dr appointments, the day is practically taken care of.

I'm wondering how long people in my situation have had off work. I saw one post some time ago where the patient said they'd had 12 weeks off but I'm wondering if I should be moving back to work yet or am I pushing it?

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

5 weeks is nowhere near long enough for recovery of tkr. The recommend time is 12 weeks and you need that time just for the internal healing I'm 9 week with no problems or complications but still not ready to go back don't be too hard on yourself you've had a major op and need the 12 week for your body to recover xx
  • Posted

Hi Lorene, my job is computer based too. I had a tkr 22 weeks ago, mine is complex and I have further surgery next week to straighten the leg. I'm lucky in that I've been able to work from home, I have been doing that since 8 weeks. My boss has driven me in to the office a day each week as I can't manage the 60 mile round trip drive myself. As my leg is still bent at 30 degrees, it is quite painful at times. That one day in the office is incredibly hard but I'm desperate to get back to normal so enjoy it. I am hoping for a quick recovery from my next op and hopefully I'll be back to normal in Sept. 

Without all of my problems I think 12 weeks would of been about right for me to go back to work. Everyone is different though, don't go back until you're ready. I would think 5 weeks is too early, I would say you still have a lot more recovering to do. I certainly did at your stage but I appreciate mine is an extreme case. 

• Posted

My surgeon required a minimum of 2 months - and actually signed for 3 months for short-term disability payments - I believe fairly recent laws in most states require your employer to accomodate a "Reasonable amount of time" for your rehabilitation

• Posted

Thanks Mark. I have sick leave available but wondered where I stood in relation to other people's recovery time. 
    • Posted

Yes lorene - I am at 3 weeks post op and it has been a battle with swollen feet/ leg and some sleepless nights. Finally woke up this morning with some definite improvement.  I have pushed my rehab...maybe to my detriment and have had some setbacks, but I can see myself back to work in 8 weeks.  As a medical device rep for hip and knee replacements for 25 years and more than 8,000 patients, I have seen it all.  One thing I know for sure is that the implants are all excellent - that the best predictor for successful outcome is your participation in Post-op Physical Therapy!!
  • Posted

Hi Lorene ive been off with a sick note since 5.3.15 and if it wasnt for the fact that il go onto half pay beg August id still be off because im just soooo tired but hey ho il have to cope???
    • Posted

Thanks andrea - I'm incredibly tired too. Not sleeping for longer than 2-3 hours at a time. 
    • Posted

You need to contact your employer and ask about your hols we are different hols are cancelled or don't count when your off sick and they are given back to you if you see what I mean

• Posted

I had 12 weeks off which my consultant recommended have been back at work 4 weeks now and finding it very tiring most days 
    • Posted

Thanks sharon. I'm very tired too and emotional. Had to go to my GP today for something else and he asked how I was - I dissolved into tears!
  • Posted

Hi If you are on sick leave you can't take holiday in the middle of it and then sick leave again.   That holday accrued shoukd be taken at another time or taken into account within a phased return.   The certificate from your gp will reflect this.   I was off work three months.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan but under my employment condiitions I have to take the hols when they fall. 
    • Posted

I have looked at this again and it s so not right!   Ok you have to take your holiday when they fall but you are on sick leave, therefore cannot take your holiday.  In tgat case if you can't take your holiday surely they have to pay you in lieu.  You cannot be expected to take a holiday in the middle of sick leave.   I would find out about enjoyment law in Australia before accepting this!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.