Sick of feeling sick

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been struggling with stomach issues for 4 months now. I had an endoscopy, told it was acid reflux. I've tried PPI's, do not really help. I'm at my wits end, not sure what to do. I have nausea most days, along with burning in my stomach. I also feel like a lump is in my throat, especially after eating. The last time I felt this bad I went to the er, who just sent me home with pepcid and said it was anxiety. Any advice? I'm sick of going to drs.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Was gastritis/h pylori mentioned? I have acid reflux but I don't have nausea or lump in throat sensation. I used to get the lump in throat sensation years ago but that has now cleared up. PPis helped me and so does OTC antacids and milk I don't worry about my acid reflux . Try doing a food diary to see what foods trigger symptoms and stick to bland foods avoiding anything rich, spicy or fatty, Try some milk too and ask your doctor to up your PPI dose or give you something stronger. Worry can trigger acid reflux and other gut problems, so try to stay as calm as possible. You sound very anxious; your doctor is right that anxiety could be playing a part in your symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. h pylori was ruled out, not sure about gastritis. I am anxious because these symptoms never go away. i have to work on the anxiety part, i know it doesn't help.

• Posted

Ask your doctor if gastritis showed up in the endoscopy. My reflux, although chronic, does come and go so I do get good days and bad days. I know antacids really help and this stops me worrying because I can get relief. Ask your doctor for a higher dose of your PPI or a stronger medication. Getting effective treatment for the reflux, should help your anxiety to clear up if the medications control your symptoms. Try an OTC antacid and milk in the meantime and stick to a bland diet.

• Posted

Pippa, are you still on PPI's? I just started them but my doctor seems as though I should take them for awhile.

• Posted

anything nasty going on would have been picked up by the endoscopy ... if you have acid reflux you need to take control and understand what you should or should not do to alleviate your symptoms

• Posted

anything nasty going on would have been picked up by the endoscopy ... if you have acid reflux you need to take control and understand what you should or should not do to alleviate your symptoms

• Posted

Hi laz1

Ask you doc for a HPylori test. This is a bacteria that lives in the gut and causes acid reflux and nausea. Test are done via stool test, breath test, endoscopy and blood test. Tell him or her you want a second opinion which you are entitled to under Patients Charter if you live in UK.....

• Posted

I'm in the US. The dr ruled out h pylori. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Acid reflux should be easy to overcome with a number of remedies available at the drug store. Just ask the pharmacist which is best for your condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.