Sick of Lansoprazole!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Lansoprazole for 5yrs. now and understand that you shouldn't just stop taking it. Is there a recommended plan for doing this? I a taking the same dose as I was when I was on 40mgs. of Pred. as I am now (down to 1mg. I have recently been having nausea after having it in the morning.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed Lanzoprazole, to counteract the Alondronic Acid I was very reluctantly taking, by a new doctor when she rang for my yearly review. After a month I started to experience bouts of stomach upsets. These increased until I realised that the medication was causing the problem. I stopped it and had quite violent diarrhea for over a week! I know we all have different individual reactions but certainly not the drug for me!

Incidentally, I also stopped taking the AA and my recent Dexta scan reported that I had above average bone density.

Perhaps it isn't the drug for you either. Best of luck.

• Posted

If it's a PPI you should taper off over a couple of weeks I think to avoid rebound acid production.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.