Sick of my lungs ..😞

Posted , 5 users are following.

I live in Canada and I'm now over 40 .. I'm finding my lungs the worst they have ever been .. feeling frustrated with all the rain we have had I think that's why ??

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I live in Louisiana (U.S.) and it is always humid. Last few months we have been having a lot of rain. Pollen count has been high and air quality is fair today. On these days I stay inside which is depressing after a few days. I feel your frustration but we have to stay positive. I find that reading other people's positive posts helps me. I pray every day for relief and a miracle. Also I thank God for each day.

I sincerely hope you feel better soon. Sending you a hug.

• Posted

Thank u for your kind words !! Ive been living with this disease al my life .. I had my left lower lung removed at age 10 .. and I'm now 41 .. unfortunately I'm really stuid and have been smoking since age 14 .. not understanding it at that age and have been struggling of trying to quit for yrs .. I'm getting more nervous of my lungs my cough has changed since April .. since it has rained so much in Ontario so much .. ive never had to actually have to use puffers till now .. but it's my own fault .. 🙁

• Posted

Dear Lisa

There are a lot of programs to help you quit smoking. Most of us quit several or many times before quitting for good. There might even be a forum here. We can't change the past, just do our best each day.

You're in my prayers to quit smoking.

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Hope you are feeling better.

I didn't use inhalers every day until 2015. I recently had to switch from Advair to Symbicort because I was having upper chest and back aches. Symbicort gives my relief but it leaves a NASTY taste. I use the reduce inhaler as needed. Also take mucinex twice daily, allergy tablet and nostril spray twice daily. Coughing phlegm everyday but not as frequent. I find that when I exercise I feel better. I am working on changing my diet (eliminating sweets), which is hard.

My doctor told me that I inherited by dad's lungs. I told the doctor, "so I don't need a DNA test". He said no and we laughed. I said, well I got his height, big hands, and completion. I smoked off and on for a while. I have not smoked some 1995. So don't beat yourself up about smoking.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Wanda I live in Scotland im 55 , our weather is always up and down but mostly down and everyday is a nightmare trying to breathe , infections ,Depression , and I am in a wheelchair and so in It does get you down . But I just think positive just think there is always someone worse of than yourself . Take a day at a time with this disease . And the days you do feel good , forget the housework get out even if its just a walk . I do listen to music in a dark room and chill out for 15 mins each day . Because the stress on our lungs you need to relax and rest . Hope you feel better xxx
    • Posted

Thank u for letting me know what u use !! I think I'll try the mucinex.. I know allergies are playing a big part also for this quick on set that I'm going threw .. Where the heck does all the phlegm come from .. ugg lol hope u have a great day !! 😀

• Posted

For all you mucinex users, I've got a money-saving tip taught me by my new pulmo when I added bronchiectasis to my list of issues.

Mucinex is guafenisin, which used to be a dirt cheap OTC pill. Then a company decided that they could make vast fortunes by renaming it, i.e., mucinex, creating a huge constant marketing campaign, and sucker-punching North Americans. Yes, Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens etc. all have house versions but if you are using a lot of this stuff, it's worth it to join Costco. I use 1200mg. twice daily. Even using Target's Up brand, that runs into serious money; for Mucinex, it's $60/month. Costco membership is $55, and their "mucus relief" costs less than $12/month tho of course it comes in a 2 pack.

Just fyi for the North Americans.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I live an hour S. of Vancouver BC and it rains in the Pacific Northwest coastal regions A LOT. When it is too humid it tends for me to have a harder time breathing. But when it is hot and no breeze, I find it worse. I think it is because of bad air quality then. 

Have you thought of getting a dehumidifier for the difficult humid days? I have an Air Conditioner for the hot and humid days. And I have a good Honeywell HEPA air filter for anytime year round when I am wheezing and coughing more. 

Jennifer (67) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.