Sick with unknown virus for over 3 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Myself, a colleague and her friend (who is an air steward), all became ill during first week of August. My symptoms began with a low back ache and then a sudden bout of diarrhoea. Then I would get spells of feeling unwell. I would yawn excessively, have discomfort in intestinal area, bad taste in mouth, burp excessively, have indigestion and heartburn. The diarrhoea and stomach problems lasted for 2 months. All blood tests fine and an ultrasound and endoscopy were clear. Then I had a period of feeling unbalanced when walking and having intense nausea. Then I had a few weeks of intense body aches all over, arms and legs, back then aching gland areas, back of my neck, groin, arm pits.  Sometimes I have strange throbbing in abdo, in sinus area or in ear. Both other two women report exactly same symptoms. We feel better some weeks but then it just returns again. My GP just says it’s a virus. We are at our wits end and frightened that it’s going on for so long with no end in sight. Has anyone else heard of a virus like this????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Can I give you a tip (Sorry to be blunt).

When you complain about so much, you overwhelm doctors and we dismiss you as neurotic (e.g. when you say something like “I’m burping excessively”).

If you want to get anywhere - you need to decide what the main issue is and focus on that.

• Posted

Rather than calling it ‘complaining ‘ I would say it’s giving a list of symptoms that are not usual for me. My GPS have been thorough and understanding, I am not doubting that. I was simply inquiring as to whether or not anyone else had come across all these symptoms linked to a virus.
  • Posted

Hey ruth, i have had a very long bout of all the symptoms you have mentioned, some days better than others and no symptoms one day and than a heap the next. 

Have been working thoroughly with my drs and cant dind a reason at all either.. was suspected to be EBV but blood test showed i had previously been infected with it at an earlier stage in life.. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Kurt. EBV has crossed my mind, as well as Lyme disease, glandular fever. I have a feeling that my doctor will suggest post viral syndrome or possibly chronic fatigue syndrome but the fact that my teaching assistant (I am a teacher) has also been struck down with it and also her friend raises my suspicions. I feel that the infection or virus is still active. All my investigations come back fine (blood tests, ultrasound, endoscopy) and I’m truly thankful for that. It’s just very frustrating not being able to get on with normal life and not having any answers. It’s also daunting not knowing how long this could go on for. I’m usually a very positive person but having a bad day today! Good luck to you and wishing you better health for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.