Sick within days every time whilst being exposed to secondhand smoke

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother is a very heavy smoker. I’m living with her again at the moment. We live in a apartment and she always smokes indoors, in her room, bathroom, living room, giving the excuse that she will close the door. But does that even matters? When the smoke gets out through little openings, and as soon as she opens the door all the smoke infests the house. It’s really bad.

Within days of inhaling her smoke I get headaches, sinus headaches, sore throat, ear aches, sneezing, itching, runny nose and even fever, chills and weakness! It’s terrible but she won’t stop smoking indoors no matter what.

When I was out for 6 months in a smoke free house I was completely free of these mysterious sickness.

As soon as I come back within a week I’m feeling sick again. The worst are the pains and fevers that she says it’s a bug but that’s impossible because when I wasn’t here for 6 months I haven’t gotten sick at all.

My little sisters all lives here they can’t avoid inhaling smoke all day although it seems like they have developed some resistance to it because they don’t get this sickness I get, they do get sick from time to time but not like me getting sick from inhaling cigarette smoke straight away. Of course all the inhalation made their immune system a lot weaker.

Does someone out here reacts this way to cigarette smokes? Even getting fevers, chills and aches from the inhalation of smoke? 😦

I have to start wearing a mask over here I’m afraid.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Absolutely! I am allergic to cigarette smoke. It's absolutely disgusting. I get incredibly sick (same symptoms as you). The worst are the headaches and respiratory symptoms for me. Is there any possible way that you can move out and relocate? Will she quit smoking? If not will she at least quit smoking in the house? It's not fair to you and your siblings...your health is way more important

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.